Nativity on Wheels! PA Community Battles Atheist Complaints With Display of Jesus’ Birth on Platform in Front of City Hall
Secularists battling against nativities is nothing new, but 2012 has brought some major victories for atheists. Consider Santa Monica, California, where a 60-year nativity tradition has been banned; other communities have backed down over fears that Christian themes will be legally challenged by groups like the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) as well.
But — believers are getting smart and fighting back with some creative methods of navigating around church versus state disagreements.
TheBlaze already told you about the Santa Monica work-around: Christians will stage a live nativity, as only unattended displays were banned from the Palisades Park. Now, a community in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has found it’s own solution to a potential atheist-led lawsuit against a display in front of a local municipal building.
KDKA-TV has more about the alternative nativity plan that is being waged in an effort to avoid a lawsuit led by the FFRF:
One group in Ellwood City has found a creative way to circumvent a potential lawsuit by displaying a nativity scene in front of the municipal building.
Instead, they’re going to put it on a truck.
The Beaver County Times reports that the Moose lodge is going to park a trailer carrying a nativity scene in front of the building.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation, based out of Wisconsin, threatened to sue the borough if it did not remove the creche.
Last year, after the FFRF first threatened to sue, so the city council, afraid of legal ramifications, moved the nativity to private property — on land in front of a former church. However, residents have been discontented with this decision. In response, they’ve decided to park a new nativity on the street right in front of the government building.
“It belongs here at city hall because it does not infringe upon our First Amendment rights, in no way, shape, or form,” explained Karen Figurel, a local resident.
The nativity rolled up in front of city hall on Thursday night on an eight-foot by eight-foot trailer.
“I’d rather die standing up for what I believe in than just standing back and watching nothing happen,” added Mike Parisi, a Moose Lodge organizer.
So, for the time being, it appears the Christians have won.
Read more about the nativity battle here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 474 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 380 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 311 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 188 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 107 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 107 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Deliberations resume in Arias trial penalty phase
- 12-year-old Mass. boy wins National Geographic Bee
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by tornado