Real? New Video Claims to Show Syrian Victims of a Chemical Attack
Two Israeli news sites Sunday morning reported on a video allegedly posted by Syrian rebels over the weekend purporting to show four victims of a chemical attack outside Aleppo. With the possibility any use of chemical weapons by President Bashar Assad’s forces could prompt U.S., European or NATO intervention in the nearly two-year civil conflict, the allegation that chemical weapons have already been used could have dire consequences for President Assad.
TheBlaze is unable to verify the veracity of the tape. The video was loaded onto YouTube by someone calling himself Aziz Majid. Some of those commenting in English on YouTube suggest the video could have been staged while others believe it is authentic.
The tape shows four individuals who appear to be in a hospital. One man sits in a chair in a hallway, one woman sits on a gurney and, in the same room as her, two – either teenagers or young men – lay next to one another on a gurney. All of their faces appear to be disfigured, while bandages on hands and feet are visible.
The Times of Israel which first reported on the story early Sunday morning writes:
Syrian rebels on Saturday uploaded to YouTube a clip purportedly depicting victims of a chemical weapons attack perpetrated by the regime. The video shows Syrian civilians, some apparently dead and others injured, whose faces were disfigured in a manner that could be caused by a chemical agent.
The rebels claim that the video was filmed in a suburb of Aleppo, where the Syrian regime reportedly maintains its largest depot of chemical weapons.
On Saturday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry vowed government forces would never use nonconventional weapons on their own people.
“No chemical or biological weapons will ever be used, and I repeat, will never be used, during the crisis in Syria no matter what the developments inside Syria,” said Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi.
The foreign minister suggested that opposition fighters could themselves use chemical weapons to frame the government and thus prompt international military intervention. “Terrorist groups may resort to using chemical weapons against the Syrian people… after having gained control of a toxic chlorine factory” east of Aleppo, Makdisi said.
A story in Sunday’s New York Times suggests just how complicated intervention could be for the U.S. and its allies. The Times reports that Syrian rebels tied to Al Qaeda are playing a key role in the uprising, raising the question could Western intervention in the conflict end up aiding Islamic terrorists?
The Israeli site Arutz 7 offered this take on the video:
Fears of the worst possible scenario in Syria have been confirmed in a video released by rebels that shows victims of chemical warfare.[…]
An almost sure sign that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has unleashed his chemical weapons for use against rebels is his regime’s claim on Saturday that rebels are preparing to use chemicals in their uprising. Assad systematically has accused opposition forces, which he labels as “foreign terrorists,” of carrying out attacks and murders for which his own loyalists are responsible.[…]
If President Barack Obama thought that his warning would be enough to stop Assad, he apparently is mistaken. Assad knows that if he does not defeat the opposition, his fate is death, and probably in a way no more humane than his brutal suppression of the uprising if not in a way similar to that of his old friend, Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
Adding to reports from the U.S. last week, British Foreign Secretary William Hague on Saturday said he is concerned about growing the evidence the Syrian government could use chemical weapons:
“We are extremely concerned about the stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and we are also concerned about evidence during the last couple of weeks that the regime could use them,” Hague said, as quoted by AFP.
“We have contingency plans concerning chemical weapons but will not disclose them,” he added. He said military intervention has not been “ruled out.”
Last Monday, President Barack Obama warned of consequences should Assad decide to use chemical weapons.
“The use of chemical weapons is and would be totally unacceptable and if you make the tragic mistake of using these weapons, there will be consequences and you will be held accountable,” he said.
White House Spokesman Jay Carney said the use of chemical weapons would “cross a red line for the United States,” though he did not say if the U.S. would militarily intervene.
Hopefully, one of the reporters on the ground in Syria will visit the hospital depicted in the video, interview the doctors or other eyewitnesses and provide further information on what exactly happened.
The full video can be seen here. Warning, the content is graphic:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 288 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93
- Obama's drone rules leave unanswered questions
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair