MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough Attacks Glenn Beck, Talk Radio for Mitt Romney’s Loss: ‘You Punch Them in the Face’
MSNBC host Joe Scarborough had some strongly-worded advice for the Republican Party on “Morning Joe” Monday.
In his opinion, Republican nominee Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential election because he failed to “stand up” to the “bullies” on talk radio like Glenn Beck. If future Republicans do the same, their path to victory becomes much harder, he says.
Scarborough began by saying that in previous decades– particularly during the Reagan years– the Republican Party had most of the intellectual clout. Organizations like the Heritage Foundation emerged, and many positive economic changes resulted. Now, though, he says that the message has been reduced in many ways to “Obama bad” and “Democrats Marxist.”
…you have nobody like Irving Kristol to go out there…to write and explain what this means, and explain how we are right, and how we have been right. How our philosophy is a governing philosophy of the future.
But that’s been stripped away by the anti-intellectualism of the past decade and the conservative cause…
These type of people who have the ability to make what [George W.] Bush called the ‘compassionate conservative’ argument [are] thrown to the side because they don’t sound enough like Glenn Beck, or a blogger.
When panelist Mike Barnicle asked whether there is enough “breathing room” between the “loudness and the shrillness” of both sides, Scarborough doubled down on his assertion that conservative talk radio needs to be put in its place:
What do you do do a school yard bully? You punch them in the face. You think any of these people in talk radio — if they’re punched in the face by a Republican nominee — do you think they would push back? No, they’re cowards. They’re bullies. Punch them in the face, and they back off. Bullies do that.
Mitt Romney, and we said it nonstop for two years, he would never stand up to these bullies. And so they framed his campaign and he got his tail whipped.
And we started saying this in 2010, when Glenn Beck said the president was a racist who hates all white people.
Watch the entire clip, in which the panelists proceed to defend Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol against recent criticism on talk radio:
- Outspoken Provocateur Penn Jillette to Glenn Beck: Every Problem We Have Should Be Solved With More Freedom, Not Less
- ‘You Won!’: Joe Scarborough Wonders Why Victorious Libs Are Still So Angry About ‘Everything’
- Joe Scarborough Has Tense Exchange With Mika Brzezinski Over Romney’s ‘Binder’ Remarks: ‘Desperation’
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 477 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 450 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 429 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 318 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 134 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- 3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
- Some damage reported from 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- News Corp. board approves split, stock buyback