Atheists Post Anti-Christmas Billboard in Times Square, Featuring Jesus Being Crucified: ‘Dump the Myth!’
It’s Christmas time, again, which means that American Atheists (AA), an activist non-profit, is back with yet another overtly-offensive holiday billboard. In 2010, the group posted a message in New Jersey calling the Christmas story “a myth” (The Catholic League erected a response). And in 2011, AA followed that up with another campaign, featuring Jesus, Satan and Santa.
Now, there’s yet another billboard alleging that Christ’s story is a fable — and this time, it’s proudly displayed in New York City’s Time Square.
The new message, which reads, “Keep the Merry! Dump the Myth!,” elevates the controversy that AA typically seeks to ignite by providing an image of Santa with a photo of Jesus suffering on the cross. The “merry” corresponds to the traditional Christmas mascot, with “myth” (in caps) is presented beneath the Christian savior’s picture, clearly in reference to Jesus’ death.
As is typically the case, representatives from AA have come forward to comment about the billboard, while explaining the organization’s motivations for posting it. Teresa MacBain, who serves as AA’s communications director, said that the holiday season is about “family, friends, and love” and that its beauty has “nothing to do with the gods of yesteryear.”
“Indeed, the season is far more enjoyable without the religious baggage of guilt and judgmentalism,” she added. “Dump the myth and have a happy holiday season.”
David Silverman, president of AA, added his own views on the matter, claiming that a large proportion of Christians are non-believers who are “trapped in their family’s religion.”
“If you know God is a myth, you do not have to lie and call yourself Christian in order to have a festive holiday season,” Silverman said. “You can be merry without the myth, and indeed, you should.”
While AA would argue that the billboard is intended to inspire atheists to “come out,” others will likely see it as offensive. The message will run through Jan. 10.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments section, below.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 446 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 445 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 428 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 284 Comments
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 200 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 140 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 129 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- Family Ties: Jarrett, Petty enter NASCAR hall
- Obama honors Carole King at White House concert
- Okla. men get video of deadly tornado overhead
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles of govt travelers
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears