Obama Admin Going Ahead with F-16 Shipment to Muslim Brotherhood-Ruled Egypt
The ongoing civil strife in Egypt, its Muslim Brotherhood president grabbing sweeping powers, and a cooling of relations with Israel don’t seem to be making much of an impression on the Defense Department’s foreign military aid decisions.
The Obama administration is going ahead with a delivery of 20 F-16 fighter jets to the Muslim Brotherhood-led country, even as Amnesty International is calling “dangerous” President Mohammed Morsi’s decision to grant the military the power to arrest civilians protesting against him.
Fox News reports the 20 F-16s are part of a $1 billion foreign aid package:
The first four jets are to be delivered to Egypt beginning Jan. 22, a source at the naval air base in Fort Worth, where the planes have been undergoing testing, told FoxNews.com. The North African nation already has a fleet of more than 200 of the planes and the latest shipment merely fulfills an order placed two years ago. But given the uncertainty in Cairo, some critics wonder if it is wise to be sending more top gun planes.
“Should an overreaction [by Egypt] spiral into a broader conflict between Egypt and Israel, such a scenario would put U.S. officials in an embarrassing position of having supplied massive amounts of military hardware … to both belligerents,” said Malou Innocent, a foreign policy analyst at the Cato Institute. “Given Washington’s fiscal woes, American taxpayers should no longer be Egypt’s major arms supplier.”
The U.S. government ordered and paid for the fighter jets for Egypt’s military as part of foreign aid for Egypt back in 2010, when Hosni Mubarak ruled. The fighter jets were supposed to be delivered in 2013, and delivery will go ahead as scheduled even though Hosni Mubarak has been removed from power and replaced by Mohamed Morsi, who led the Muslim Brotherhood before becoming Egypt’s president.
Among the decision’s critics, Rick Moran of The American Thinker writes:
Considering the fact that the Egyptian military has just aligned themselves with President Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood, this is a stupid, stupid, move.[…]
The question a third grader might ask is, “Who are those planes more likely to be used against? Iran or Israel?” Unfortunately, there was no third grader around that our procurement folks at the State Department could ask so we are apparently going to arm a military whose political leader headed up an organization that has vowed to destroy Israel.
A Pentagon spokesman is defending the sale. “The U.S.-Egypt defense relationship has served as the cornerstone of our broader strategic partnership for over thirty years,” Lt. Col. Wesley Miller told Fox. “The delivery of the first set of F-16s in January 2013 reflects the U.S. commitment to supporting the Egyptian military’s modernization efforts. Egyptian acquisition of F-16s will increase our militaries’ interoperability, and enhance Egypt’s capacity to contribute to regional mission sets,” he added.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 228 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 169 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 117 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 138 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- Republican divisions may hinder party's momentum
- Life-saving face transplant performed in Poland
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- Mais non! French universities may teach in English
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed