There’s Now Video of Those Dogs in New Zealand Learning to Drive
For the past week, a driver’s training program in the land down under has gained international attention. On Monday night — New Zealand time — the final video of a driver’s test was released showing a 10-month-old taking to the wheel.
And although you might not think a 10-month-old should be playing with anything beyond soft, toy cars, you could change your mind when you think about Porter’s age in doggy years. You see, Porter is a beardie cross and, yes, he’s been trained to drive a manual car.
The Driving Dogs program was organized by SPCA of Auckland to show that dogs that have been abandoned and abused are smart, trainable and worthy of adoption.
“Our dogs may be a motley bunch, but they’re all smart and they’re all lovable,” SPCA wrote in a video’s description.
This video gives an overview of the program and the three dogs trained to drive in a specialized car:
It’s not just any manual car the canines are driving though: it’s a MINI Countryman. According to the SPCA Driving Dogs Facebook page, the donated car was modified by Ikon Engineering, with the largest change bring to bring the brake and gas pedals up so the dogs could reach them.
Porter is considered “the world’s first driving dog,” taking the MINI on a real track in the latest video. One commenter wrote that he’s also earned the title of the “fast and the furriest.”
Buckle up and watch him go:
If you’re wondering how the dogs were trained to drive a car, it started with learning basic commands in a model rig that didn’t move, and later with a rig on wheels.
They then took the dogs inside the car:
One challenge the trainers describe in the videos is that the dogs got car sick with some of the movement. After continuing to practice, the dogs became used to it.
Among the fascinating techniques it used to train the dogs to drive, the SPCA has also included video features to tell the dogs’ stories from before they became famous behind the wheel. Porter, for example, was a “street kid.” No one knew where he came from. Ginny was taken after she was found locked in a bathroom. Monty was surrendered to the SPCA.
Watch the trainer describe Porter and how much he’s grown under the SPCA’s care:
If you liked these videos, be sure to check out the Drivingdogs YouTube channel to see more.
According to the Financial Times, people looking into adoption dogs has gone up since the Driving Dogs campaign began.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 839 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 270 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 215 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Justin Bieber's monkey to become German property
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- Policy, discretion guide media sources probes
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016