Young Penn. Mother Tells Teens to ‘Get a Job’ When They Ask for a Cigarette — And They Kill Her
A young mother was senselessly murdered by three teens in western Pennsylvania after she told them to “get a job” and stop roaming the streets when they asked her fiancée for a cigarette, police say.
Beaver Falls police have charged 14-year-olds Todavia Cleckley and Marcus Velasquez and 13-year-old Kyle Goosby Jr. with criminal homicide and other charges in Saturday’s shooting of 22-year-old Kayla Peterson.
She was shot at about 3:30 p.m. that day and died in a Pittsburgh hospital two hours later.
Goosby is in custody and his attorney says he was just “in the wrong place at the wrong time” when Velasquez – identified as the gunman by police – opened fire. Beaver Falls Police Chief Charles Jones says officers are still searching for the other two suspects.
WTAE interviewed Peterson’s fiancée after the tragedy. Holding their 23-month old baby, Bill Bailey said Peterson’s last words after being shot in the chest were how she loved him and their daughter.
“She didn’t even move when it happened,” he said, measuring his voice. “She just said, ‘I can’t feel my legs.’ She wanted to lay down, so I laid her down.”
Shockingly, Bailey says they knew the young neighborhood boys, and he’s played basketball with one of their fathers.
Brock Edwards, who was working at the convenience store where Bailey bought the cigarettes, weighed in: “My friend came in and got cigarettes, and three young kids followed him. They kept following him and asking him for a cigarette…”
He concluded, according to WTAE:
“The next thing you know, they just pull out a gun and shoot for no reason. It was just over a cigarette…Now, my friend lost his girlfriend — an amazing, amazing girl, and she was such a good mother, too — and now her child has to grow up without her mother being there.”
WPXI-11 News has more, including a picture the suspects posted of themselves on Facebook less than 12 hours after the shooting:
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 565 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 346 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 252 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 240 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 143 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee