Abortion Advocates Fume Over Dry Cleaner’s Pro-Life Coat Hangers: ‘Worst Marketing Decision Ever’
A pro-choice blogger is calling a dry cleaner out for the business’ pro-life messaging. Why, you ask? Because the anti-abortion advertising is being placed on wire coat-hangers. The blogger, Robin Marty, posted her thoughts on the RH Reality Check web site, an outlet devoted to upholding abortion rights, calling the action the “worst marketing decision ever.”
The decision by Springdale Drycleaners in Cincinnati, Ohio, to place the words “Choose Life” on the coat hangers is apparently nothing new. Marty describes the ad campaign in detail:
What’s worse is that this seems to be an ongoing effort. Reports of the “choose life” coat hangers already were on the internet back in March of 2011, when Joe.My.God posted a picture of the hanger then. And before that on Regretsy in 2010. So despite over two years of attention, the business continues to think this is an excellent cross-advertising campaign. In fact, the practice was losing them customers as far back as August of 2010, but still the dry-cleaner continues to use hangers as a place to offer inappropriate propaganda.
As NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin said on Facebook, it’s a reminder of why we will never let them make us go back.
Obviously, some find the choice of venue for the advertising problematic, considering that self-induced abortions have purportedly been undertaken, particularly when the practice was not legal in the United States, using wire hangers. Despite the furor, Springdale Cleaners is sticking by its decision.
“I think it’s the perfect place to advertise a pro-life message,” owner Paul Dehler said in an interview with The Huffington Post.
Despite defending the action, he noted that he has no vested interest in the abortion debate — and that he placed the ads for his sister, who is a pro-life advocate. Dehler began publishing the ads six years ago when his granddaughter was a baby. While some customers dislike the hangers, that hasn’t swayed the owner’s actions.
“Some customers have said they don’t like the hangers, and in some cases I’ve lost their business,” Dehler admitted. “But I’d like to think that I’ve gained more customers with these hangers than I’ve lost.”
What do you think? Let us know in the comments section, below.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 527 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 466 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 338 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 274 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Restaurant torched in 4th night of Sweden riots
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Britain: Soldier slaying suspects had been probed