‘Grinched’! Man Faces $300 Fine for Covering His Truck With Christmas Lights
A Wichita, Kansas, man has been greeted by authorities with a big “bah humbug” after he covered his truck with 856 Christmas lights to commemorate the holiday season. Rather than merely staring at the vehicle in awe, police fined Dave Hill $300 — a penalty he claims won’t stop him from spreading Christmas cheer throughout his local highways and byways.
Hill’s refusal to give up his holiday cheer is understandable. After all, the colorful display took him and his friends 16 hours to assemble and is powered by an 8,000 watt generator placed in the back of the truck. Authorities claim that the red and blue lights that are included are dangerous, as they may confuse other drivers and cause people to mistake his truck as an emergency vehicle.
One local reporter used the word “Grinched” to describe the situation, however police see the scenario as more of a safety issue.
“It’s a safety issue,” said Lt. Joe Schroeder, an officer with the Wichita Police Department. “When somebody puts colored lights on their vehicle, they’re saying ‘everybody look at me,’ and when people are looking at that particular vehicle, they become a hazard.”
Hill, though, claims that this explanation is not necessarily valid, noting that thousands of people have taken pictures of the truck and stopped to “come up and look at it.” He is using the Christmas lights to promote his charity, “One Spark Can Start a Fire,” a group that urges people to perform random acts of kindness.
“A lady when I was getting my coffee today said ‘Hey, my husband died last week but this made me smile,’” Hill explained. “It’s over and over again people say, ‘Hey I’ve had a crappy day and those lights made me smile.’”
So, with Christmas still 13 days away, it looks like more tickets could be headed Hill’s way.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 437 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 418 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 375 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 134 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 120 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 236 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 246 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94
- Broke no laws, IRS official says _ then takes 5th
- Zach Johnson always feels good at Colonial
- House passes GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Mexico cartel dominates, torches western state
- Union power at issue as Garcetti elected LA mayor