‘Shut Up!’: Neil Cavuto and Dem Rep. Battle it Out in Must See Interview
While discussing the looming “fiscal cliff” on Thursday, Fox News’ Neil Cavuto and Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) had a rather unpleasant exchange of words:
Cavuto repeatedly pressed Rep. Johnson for specifics on what Democrats would be willing to cut as part of a budget agreement. For her part, the Texas congresswoman insisted on focusing on “revenue generation.”
“No, you told me things you’d do to raise taxes. That’s what you told me. Credits, allowances, that sort of stuff. That’s what you told me,” Cavuto said.
“You’ve got to talk about revenue generation,” the congresswoman replied.
“I know that, but it’s 100 percent of what you’re talking about, congresswoman,” said Cavuto.
“It is not 100 percent of what I’m talking about. If you’d shut up for just a second, I would try,” she responded.
Cavuto shot back: “You got to tell me one thing you’d cut. I beg you congresswoman, one thing you would say, I would cut this. What would it be?”
Rep. Johnson thought for a moment and responded: “You.”
“You don’t know, do you?” asked Cavuto.
“Well, yes I do know, but I have to have time to explain it. I can’t tell you I’m going to walk in and cut this and cut that. First of all, it has to have be some type of dialogue. We have not had that,” she said.
Shortly after that, and a little after Rep. Johnson made a crack about Fox News “consulting with the Republicans,” Cavuto decided to end the interview and cut to a commercial break. When he came back, he issued an apology.
“Alright, first off folks, I want to apologize to the Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson and to you who might have been offended by my interrupting the Congresswoman, not allowing a simple answer. But that’s all I wanted. A simple answer. What would you cut?” he asked.
The Fox News anchor continued, adding that “both sides have to bring something to the table. Both sides have to be specific and when they are not, it gets maybe a little bit ugly.”
“But I keep telling you here, I’ve done this to Republicans and to Democrats, I’ve done this to those who say they’ll outline revenues but never do, outline cuts but never do,” he added. “I’m not red or blue here. I’m just green and I’m seeing red right now for the craziness of all the green that’s going, but we got to do this sort of thing. We’ll stay on it.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 450 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 445 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 405 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 213 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- UK military jet launched to probe civilian plane
- US durable goods orders rise 3.3 percent in April
- Slovenia adopts debt cap to stave off crisis
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute
- UK defense ministry: Typhoon jet launched to investigate incident with civilian plane
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- Jersey shore reopens post-Sandy with fun, no sun