‘Shut Up!’: Neil Cavuto and Dem Rep. Battle it Out in Must See Interview
While discussing the looming “fiscal cliff” on Thursday, Fox News’ Neil Cavuto and Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) had a rather unpleasant exchange of words:
Cavuto repeatedly pressed Rep. Johnson for specifics on what Democrats would be willing to cut as part of a budget agreement. For her part, the Texas congresswoman insisted on focusing on “revenue generation.”
“No, you told me things you’d do to raise taxes. That’s what you told me. Credits, allowances, that sort of stuff. That’s what you told me,” Cavuto said.
“You’ve got to talk about revenue generation,” the congresswoman replied.
“I know that, but it’s 100 percent of what you’re talking about, congresswoman,” said Cavuto.
“It is not 100 percent of what I’m talking about. If you’d shut up for just a second, I would try,” she responded.
Cavuto shot back: “You got to tell me one thing you’d cut. I beg you congresswoman, one thing you would say, I would cut this. What would it be?”
Rep. Johnson thought for a moment and responded: “You.”
“You don’t know, do you?” asked Cavuto.
“Well, yes I do know, but I have to have time to explain it. I can’t tell you I’m going to walk in and cut this and cut that. First of all, it has to have be some type of dialogue. We have not had that,” she said.
Shortly after that, and a little after Rep. Johnson made a crack about Fox News “consulting with the Republicans,” Cavuto decided to end the interview and cut to a commercial break. When he came back, he issued an apology.
“Alright, first off folks, I want to apologize to the Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson and to you who might have been offended by my interrupting the Congresswoman, not allowing a simple answer. But that’s all I wanted. A simple answer. What would you cut?” he asked.
The Fox News anchor continued, adding that “both sides have to bring something to the table. Both sides have to be specific and when they are not, it gets maybe a little bit ugly.”
“But I keep telling you here, I’ve done this to Republicans and to Democrats, I’ve done this to those who say they’ll outline revenues but never do, outline cuts but never do,” he added. “I’m not red or blue here. I’m just green and I’m seeing red right now for the craziness of all the green that’s going, but we got to do this sort of thing. We’ll stay on it.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 512 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 474 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 218 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend