Three Women Allegedly Tricked a Mentally Handicapped Man Into Buying Them $40K in Cars and Other Gifts
A Minnesota woman has been charged with several felony counts for teaming up with two other women and persuading a mentally disabled man into purchasing two vehicles for them along with other expensive gifts, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Renita Satcher, a 38-year-old woman from St. Paul, allegedly took advantage of the victim who reportedly has the mental capacity of a 13-year-old and was looking for a date, the Twin Cities Pioneer Press reported.
According to the Pioneer Press, Satcher, who was posing as a women named Ashley in 2011 when the incident occurred, told the victim he could join her and two other women — Ashley’s “mother” and “aunt” — at a hotel. She told him “they could date if he bought her things,” the Pioneer Press noted one complaint saying.
Here’s more on how the women took advantage of the man from there:
He wanted her to like him, so he began opening lines of credit and buying things for her and the other women. She told him she needed a car, so he accompanied her to a South St. Paul dealership, let her pick one out and financed it with an $18,000 line of credit in his name.
It was Satcher’s idea to buy the car and she told the man how to fill out the paperwork, according to the complaint. The man said he complied because he thought Ashley wouldn’t talk to him unless he did.
He also said “he became scared the women may call someone to come over and hurt him if they got angry with him,” according to the complaint. At one point while staying with them, he separated his car keys from his house keys because he feared they would rob his home.
The Star Tribune reported the fraudulent activity became apparent when the victim failed to show up for work and his legal guardian found receipts showing expensive purchases.
Satcher will appear in court in January facing two felony charges for theft by swindling. The other two women have not been charged yet.
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 586 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 388 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 320 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 270 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins