Why Has This Ranking GOP Member Been Left out of ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Negotiations?
Despite the fact that he’s a ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) claims he has been excluded from the “fiscal cliff” negotiations.
In fact, according to the senator, he knows “almost nothing” about the ongoing talks between President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). All he knows is that the “speaker was disappointed and things were not moving forward.”
“The people that are losing in this process — this secret process — are the American people. They will be the ones asked to pay more taxes, they may be the ones asked to tighten their belts, and they need to know what the choices are, and what we are wrestling with,” Sen. Sessions said Wednesday during an interview with CNN’s Ashleigh Banfield.
“I really think the classical understanding of the way Congress should operate is being undermined,” he added. “About the only thing Republicans could have done would be to protest it and fight harder about it. And we have, but I don’t think effectively enough.”
“And we’ve now, at the end, fallen into this trap, I would suggest, of just having secret negotiations. I really wish we could have avoided it, but this was the strategy of the Democratic leadership in the Senate.”
Given the fact that the Alabama senator has long been a staunch opponent of wasteful government spending, and the fact that entitlement reform is one of the two elements involved in the “fiscal cliff,” his frustration with being left out is somewhat understandable.
Just yesterday Sen. Sessions sparred with CNN’s constantly concerned-looking Soledad O’Brien on the need to reform the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (i.e. food stamps):
“People basically say why are you trying to balance the budget on people who are making under $23,000 a year?” asked the furrow-browed O’Brien.
“I think that range roughly is the national average for what a family of four would get on food stamps. So why not cut something else? There are other things that could be on the table before you pick a program that is feeding the nation’s poor children,” she added.
“No child, no person, who needs food, should be denied that food. Nobody proposes that,” the senator responded. “But we’re talking about an amendment that I offered that would have reduced and closed a loophole of $8 billion, when we would spend $800 billion, was opposed by saying it would help leave people hungry in America.”
“But it would have only eliminated abuses in the program,” he added. “It surely has to have some change.”
And let’s not forget the numerous times the senator’s office has illustrated for us the clear need for spending reform:
In short, leaving Sen. Sessions out of the “fiscal cliff” negotiations is a little like leaving Gen. George S. Patton out of the invasion of Normandy.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images. This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 422 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 372 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash