A Look at the Uniform and the Weapons Used by the Conn. School Shooter
Editor’s note: We’ll be discussing the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting on a special live BlazeCast at 4pm ET — including your comments and live chat:
The Connecticut elementary school gunman who has killed at least 26 people — eight adults and 18 children — Friday was reportedly outfitted in military attire and had at least two guns, which were recovered on the scene. Some have begun to wonder how the man entered the school where visitors have to be let in by staff.
According to Fox News Insider, the now-deceased, 20-something-year-old shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown wore black BDUs (battle dress uniform), which are standard combat uniforms like those sold on Camping Survival, and a military-style vest. The shooter, who was reportedly identified as Ryan Lanza, also had a mask covering his face.
On Megyn Kelly’s America Live program on Fox News, a mother of a student called in pointing out that visitors to the school need to be buzzed in through the doors by the front desk. The mother, whose daughter was not hurt, said she doesn’t believe the secretary would let in a person wearing a mask or questionable clothing. The Associated Press reports the gunman had ties, which are not yet specified, to the school.
Two guns were initially reported to have been found on the scene, but some outlets now report four. Reports reference a semi-automatic Glock and Sig Sauer 9 mm being recovered, as well as a .223 caliber rifle.
According to Sig Sauer’s website, the 9mm P226 is used by “U.S. Navy SEALs, Federal agents, and numerous law enforcement agencies including the Texas Rangers, Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Michigan State Police to name a few.”
A .223 rifle has been called by gun experts “the best home-defense weapon” and “a rifleman’s most valuable tool.” Guns Magazine wrote that the .223 “shoots far, fast and flat” and has a “relatively moderate cost.”
Reuters reports an entire classroom is currently unaccounted for, while other children have been removed to a safe location or have gone home with parents.
A law enforcement official speaking under the condition of anonymity said that New Jersey state police are searching a location in that state in connection with the shootings, according to the AP.
The Associated Press contributed to this report. This is a developing story.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 403 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 350 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 290 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 203 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 109 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- Cannes: Scott Thomas' glorious dip into darkness
- Benghazi review leader OKs meeting with committee
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill
- Stocks fall on news Fed weighed cutting stimulus