Columbine Victim’s Mom Tells Megyn Kelly About ‘Trauma’ & ‘Loss’ Following Shooting: ‘Right Now, These Parents Can’t Imagine Hope’
Beth Nimmo knows tragedy well. Her daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, was the first person killed at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999. This afternoon, she appeared on “America Live,” where she told anchor Megyn Kelly about the emotions she’s feeling in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. She also attempted to help the public understand what survivors and victims’ families are going through.
“My first reaction was — extremely angry. So angry that a man would kill babies — these are babies,” Nimmo said, her emotions clearly showing through. “And — as far as the parents go, they’re not going to know what hit them for a long, long time.”
As for her own experience, the mother, whose son, Craig, survived the Columbine tragedy, shared her path from grief to renewal.
“It was like there were times where it was very real and other times when it was surreal,” Nimmo said of the days and months following the murderous rampage.
As for today’s shooting in Connecticut, she feels deeply for the families and the pain she knows they are feeling.
“My heart’s racing and I just feel like these parents — they’re going to hurt so bad for so long — and there’s not much you can do to console someone like this,” Nimmo lamented, nothing, though, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Kelly asked the mother if, indeed, she found happiness again in her life. While it took quite a long time, Nimmo said that life did eventually improve.
“You know what, we did, but it came much, much later,” Nimmo responded. “There does come a day when you don’t cry all day long — there does come a day when the fear of pain and loss isn’t so evident and is not so penetrating…so right in your face.”
She said that her heart breaks for the children and families, alike. There are no shortcuts when it comes to recovery and going through the grieving process, Nimmo added.
“Right now, these parents can’t imagine hope. All they understand is the trauma and loss,” she told Kelly.
Watch the interview, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 158 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview