‘Real News’: Obama Looks to Change Foreign Policy Team, Will He Get His Top Picks?
The U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations immersed in controversy after inconsistant and later proven to be inaccurate remarks after the Benghazi attack, Susan Rice, has withdrawn her name from consideration to replace Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. Rice was reportedly the president’s first pick for the position, but was expected to face intense scrutiny from Republicans and the media should she had gone through the confirmation process. Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry is likely the most qualified Democrat for the position now, but President Obama and his party in the Senate would prefer that Kerry’s seat not go up again in a special election that could see Republican Scott Brown back in Washington.
Beyond Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense will likely open up again as Leon Panetta is expected to retire, and White House Chief-of-Staff will need to be filled as Jack Lew is reportedly the top candidate to replace Timothy Geithner as Secretary of the Treasury. Former Republican U.S. Senator from Nebraska Chuck Hagel is being vetted for Secretary of Defense. Hagel is currently chairman of The Atlantic Council, an international affairs think-tank, and as a Republican in the Senate often clashed with his own party on the Iraq War, defense spending, and the role of the United States in world affairs.
On ‘Real News’ Friday the panel discussed the potential of Hagel and Kerry in these new roles, and what the rumors about these appointments say about how Obama will approach foreign policy in term two.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 315 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 261 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 145 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 138 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet