White House Gun Control Petition Quickly Surpasses Required Signature Count
An online petition calling on the White House to immediately address the issue of gun control quickly surpassed the required number of signatures Friday, hours after the Connecticut elementary school massacre.
“The goal of this petition is to force the Obama Administration to produce legislation that limits access to guns,” the petition states in part. “While a national dialogue is critical, laws are the only means in which we can reduce the number of people murdered in gun related deaths.”
Petitions on the White House’s “We the People” online petition site require 25,000 signatures within a month to garner an official administration response. The petition met that goal Friday evening; by Saturday morning it had reached more than 68,000 signatures.
“Powerful lobbying groups allow the ownership of guns to reach beyond the Constitution’s intended purpose of the right to bear arms,” the petition states. “Therefore, Congress must act on what is stated law, and face the reality that access to firearms reaches beyond what the Second Amendment intends to achieve.”
White House press secretary Jay Carney on Friday demurred on the issue of gun control, saying it was a day to mourn, not to pursue policy.
“There is — I am sure will be, rather — a day for discussion of the usual Washington policy debates, but I do not think today is that day,” Carney said.
Speaking about the shooting later on Friday, President Barack Obama vowed to take “meaningful action” to prevent more such tragedies from taking place in the future.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,014 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 450 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 418 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 304 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 218 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 191 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Todays Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 112 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge
- Pentagon wants $450M for Guantanamo prison
- The new consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Leahy steps back on gay marriage issue
- Toronto mayor avoids questions about crack video
- Indians' Perez deletes Twitter account