Democratic Senator Vows to Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban
The Newtown shooting in Connecticut has prompted an explosive, albeit predictable, reaction from supporters of gun control. With such anti-gun luminaries as New York mayor Michael Bloomberg loudly trumpeting the need for an assault weapons ban, it was just a matter of time before legislation was introduced to push the concept.
That is precisely what California Democrat Dianne Feinstein has just announced her intention to do, telling NBC’s “Meet The Press” that the plans to introduce a new assault weapons ban in the new year, with Democrats in the House prepared to support her with their own version of the bill at the same time. The Huffington Post reports on Feinstein’s stated intentions:
In the wake of Friday’s mass killing at an elementary school in Connecticut, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Sunday that she plans to introduce an assault weapons ban bill on the first day of the new Congress.
“I’m going to introduce in the Senate, and the same bill will be introduced in the House — a bill to ban assault weapons,” Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”[...]
Feinstein called for the ban to be renewed after the mass shooting in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater that killed 12 people and injured 58 others.
“Who needs these military-style assault weapons? Who needs an ammunition feeding device capable of holding 100 rounds?” Feinstein wrote on her campaign website. “These weapons are not for hunting deer — they’re for hunting people.”
On Sunday Feinstein laid out details of the bill.
“It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, but prospectively,” and ban the sale of clips of more than ten bullets, Feinstein said. “The purpose of this bill is to get… weapons of war off the streets.”
Feinstein apparently also believes that President Obama will be prepared to support her in pushing this bill through, as she has said that this will be the president’s bill “to lead on.”
Watch Feinstein’s announcement below:
This is not the first time such a bill has been part of a Democratic president’s agenda. President Bill Clinton signed an assault weapons ban into law in 1994, in a politically risky move that many blame for costing his party the House of Representatives that year. That bill, however, expired in 2004, and attempts to revive it have been stymied. Whether Feinstein’s bill will be an exception is an open question, though the Democratic Senator did claim that her version had improved on the original concept by exempting many popular weapons.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 957 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 410 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 365 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 275 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him Read More
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 158 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Watch Live: Senate Hearing on IRS Targeting of Conservative Groups Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Ft. Hood shooter is still collecting a paycheck
- Israel warns Syria against attacks on Golan
- Toback, Baldwin eye Cannes movie-making underbelly
- Man charged in death of missing Maine teenager
- Germany's SAP to recruit tech staff with autism
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says she doesn't know how many people are missing following tornado
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One, next-generation gaming
- Poll: Teens migrating to Twitter
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says 'we will rebuild' after tornado leaves at least 24 dead