MSNBC Guest Says We Should Profile ‘White Men’ as School Shooters
If you thought the Newtown, Connecticut shooting was one place where a refuge from racial politics could be found, you were deeply mistaken. At least one commentator on MSNBC is determined to bring the subject up.
In a conversation on MSNBC’s Up With Chris Hayes, Salon columnist David Sirota argued that the discussion surrounding the shooting in Newtown has been spared a larger degree of ugliness by the fact that the shooter in this case – Adam Lanza – was a white man. However, Sirota did not see this as a positive. Rather, he saw it as evidence that America is willing to leap to the easy out of racial profiling for every crime except for school shootings. Why? Because school shootings, according to Sirota, are perpetrated by white people.
To that end, Sirota made the following comment while responding to the idea that the mentally ill might be followed and surveyed by the government with the same zeal as the terrorist watch list.
“The issue with it will be, politically, I think; the profile is white men. That’s a profile that’s not, essentially, in America allowed to be profiled. That’s the one profile in America that’s not allowed to be profiled.”
Moreover, Sirota fingered the Republican party as the biggest obstacle to such profiling, believing they would react to any attempt to profile mentally ill white people the same way they had reacted to the infamous Department of Homeland Security report on “right wing extremism” in America.
“The Republicans said, ‘This is a way to demonize, essentially, white America, or ‘good, God-fearing Americans,’” Sirota remarked.
Watch this curious outburst below, courtesy of Mediaite:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 469 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 357 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 267 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 178 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Officials: Suspect lunged at FBI agent with knife
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Judge: Hollister clothing unfriendly to disabled
- Bahrain opposition group snubs crisis talks
- Officials: Man lunged at FBI agent with knife while being questioned about Boston bombings
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team