‘Friday Changed Everything’: MSNBC’s Scarborough Goes on Epic Rant, Says He’s Changing His ‘Libertarian’ Stance on Gun Control
In a Monday morning monologue following the tragedy in Newtown, CT, MSNBC host and former GOP congressman Joe Scarborough said he’s having a change of heart regarding certain aspects of gun control.
“For me, just like for you, there is no escaping the horrors visited upon those students and teachers at Sandy Hook,” he began, after noting that his own son has Asberger’s Syndrome just like has been reported about the shooter, Adam Lanza.
“But every American must know, form this day forward, nothing can ever be the same again,” he added. “…Let Newtown be the hour after which, in the words of the New Testament, we did all we could do to make all things do. Politicians can no longer be allowed to defend the status quo.” And he made no qualms that he was talking about gun control, bringing up other recent shootings, “combat-style weapons,” and “twisted readings of our Bill of Rights.”
He did say that “no single action can solve the problem that can save our children,” but he still let it be known where a lot of the blame lies:
“You know me: I am a conservative Republican who received the NRA’s highest ratings over four terms in Congress. I saw this debate over guns as a powerful symbolic struggle between individual rights and government control. … But the symbols of that ideological struggle they’ve been shattered by the harvest zone from violent, mind-numbing video games and gruesome Hollywood movies that dangerously desensitize those who struggle with mental health challenges. And then add in military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines to that equation and tragedy can never be too far behind. … You know there is now easy ideological way forward. If it were only that simple as to blame Hollywood, or the NRA, or insufficient funding for mental health, then our task would be completed in no time. But I come to you this morning with a heavy heart and no easy answers. Still, I’ve spent the past few days grasping for solutions and struggling for answers — while daring to question my own long-held belief on these subjects.”
Then, after explaining that he once held and defended the “libertarian” view on guns, he’s changing:
I knew that day that the ideologies of my past career were no longer relevant to the future that I want, that I demand for my children. Friday changed everything. It must change everything. We all must begin anew and demand that Washington’s old way of doing business is no longer acceptable. Entertainment moguls don’t have an absolute right to glorify murder while spreading mayhem in young minds across America. And our Bill of Rights does not guarantee gun manufacturers the absolute right to sell military-style, high-caliber, semi-automatic combat assault rifles with high-capacity magazines to whoever the hell they want. It is time for Congress to put children before deadly dogmas.
“For the sake of my four children and yours, I choose live and I choose change. It’s time to turn over the tables inside the temple,” he concluded.
You can listen to him explain it all, below:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 565 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 346 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 252 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 240 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 142 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee