Hungarian Parliament Member Condemns the Jewish State, Arrested After Torching Israeli Flag
Hungarian member of parliament Balazs Lenhardt was arrested Friday after torching an Israeli flag during an anti-Zionist protest in the country’s capital.
According to Press TV, dozens of Hungarians rallied near the Foreign Ministry in Budapest to protest what they allege is Israel’s occupation and “atrocities” against the Palestinians. Police said Lenhardt was released following questioning the night of the demonstration.
The Hungarian lawmaker was, according to reports, once member of the far-right (often dubbed neo-nazi) Jobbik party. Blaze readers might recall that at the end of November, Jobbik’s leader Marton Gyongyosi called on his nation’s parliament to assemble a “list” of Jews who he deems poses a “national security threat” following Israel’s Operation Pillar of Defense.
Further supporting this disturbing anti-Semitic trend, Press TV reports that in October Jobbik members burned another Israeli flag — this time in front of one of Budapest’s largest synagogues. The pro-fascist party members were, at the time, calling on government to cut diplomatic and economic ties with Israel.
Jobbik leader Gabor Vona said any “agreement between Hungary and Israel should be canceled.”
The party holds 47 parliamentary seats and is the third-largest political party in Hungary.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 571 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 489 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 366 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 270 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 252 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split