Report: NBC Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel Missing in Syria
Social media outlets are abuzz with the news that NBC chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel has been missing in Syria since last Thursday.
Turkish media first published the report, but NBC is staying silent and everyone is hoping it is an unsubstantiated rumor.
Gawker summarizes what is known so far:
NBC News has been asking every reporter who inquires about the report to participate in a news blackout. It has also taken to Twitter and asked people who repeated the Turkish reports there to take them down. You can see here a screengrab of the Twitter account @NBCComm asking a Twitter user who had mentioned the reports to urgently call a cell phone number (that account has since been taken down).
NBC News declined to comment for the record about Engel’s whereabouts, but asked Gawker not to report what it characterized as “rumors” about Engel’s current status.
The Turkish reports have been referenced on Twitter by Slate’s David Weigel, Michelle Malkin, former MSNBC anchor David Shuster, and hundreds of others.
Even some of those reports are starting to come down, though. What was once a related Daily Kos article now shows an “Error!” sign, saying the entry has been deleted.
When journalists have gone missing in the past, news agencies have attempted to keep the issue quiet for the journalists’ safety, and to give the potential captors as little leverage as possible.
“When the family/employer of a missing journalist asks media to do a blackout, that should be respected,” he wrote.
Scahill later added: “There are processes going on that other media are not privy to and you should respect that. It could mean life/death for the missing journo.”
Here is NBC’s last report with Engel in Syria, from December 13:
This is a breaking news story. Updates will be added.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 515 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 475 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 219 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election