School Nurse Reveals the Chilling Details From CT Shooting: The Moment She Saw the Killer and How Long She Hid in a Closet
Sally Cox has been the school nurse at Sandy Hook Elementary for fifteen years. Last Friday began as any other– with the pledge of allegiance, followed by a locking of the outer doors at 9:15.
But roughly 15 minutes later, before the normal stream of children had time to come in with the usual coughs and ailments, Cox said she heard a rough “popping.”
“My first thought was, was this something with the heating– something– or did something fall?” she remembered shakily.
But she had a sort of sense of impending doom when the secretary called her name, remembering the fear in her voice.
That “popping” had likely been the gunman shooting his way into the school, and he was headed straight for the nurse’s office.
Cox related what happened next:
Sally Cox: …The popping kept going off. And I just dove underneath my computer desk. The back of the desk has a small opening for, like, wires to come out. And I just peeked. I could see his feet and his legs from the knees down. And he– his feet were facing in my direction. And I just froze with fear. And then he just– it was just seconds and then he turned around and I could hear him walk out. I heard the door close and then I just heard popping starting all over again. And then the secretary, she was down behind my desk and we pulled the phone off the desk and she called 911.
[Interviewer] Scott Pelley: And she said what?
Sally Cox: She said– I– she said, “We have a shoo– please send help right away. We have a shooter in the building.” And then we just wanted to get out of there. And then we just ran into my big supply closet… We pulled that door closed. So we were behind two locked doors. And we could just hear the popping continue. And we heard screams. There’s nothing we could do. You know? It was just a helpless, horrible feeling. You know? And just like a nightmare that– couldn’t believe that– you know, you just think it’s a bad dream. After some time, I think it was about 11:15, so we had been in that closet for about an hour and a half, I opened the door and I peeked out, ’cause my office has a lot of windows and looks into the courtyard. And I just saw what looked like maybe SWAT people but I didn’t know, you know, who they were. I didn’t know if there were other shooters. And it wasn’t until 1:15 when I– somebody was jiggling the door. And– but nobody called out. So I decided to be brave enough and open that door into the office and a lot of state police officers were there at that point. And they were very surprised to see me. [Emphasis added]
Cox had been in the office roughly four hours by the time she left. When she was escorted from the building, officers told her to shut her eyes to spare her the sight of the students and teachers she once cared for.
Here is video from CBS’ special report, which also includes interviews with those close to the Lanza family, a student in Lanza’s English class, and an expert in school shootings:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 538 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 492 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 296 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 132 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 186 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 134 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'