Second Grade Teacher Sick and Tired of ‘One-Size-Fits-All Curriculum’ Fearlessly Quits Job on YouTube
Second grade teacher Stephen Round, fed up with being forced to teach students how to be “good test-takers” instead of “lifelong learners,” tendered his resignation in a video posted on YouTube.
After being denied the dignity of reading his letter of resignation during a recent school committee meeting, the teacher decided to post it on YouTube instead, where he found a much larger and more receptive audience. It is unclear whether it was the content of his resignation letter that prevented him from being able to read it before the committee.
“It was purely frustration. It got the point where I can’t stand by and watch kids not learn, and I have the key to help them.” he said, reading from the letter. “They want us to follow the book to the letter.”
Round, who is a 13-year veteran teacher in the Providence school district, wants to go back to remedial tutoring.
“The school system in which I had so much pride drastically changed. Rather than creating lifelong learners, our new goal is to create good test-takers. Rather than being the recipients of a rewarding and enjoyable educational experience, our students are now relegated to experiencing a confining and demeaning education.”
Round said he can’t stay with the Providence school system when it insists on operating based on the “misguided notions of ‘educrats.’” He went on to say he would rather quit his “secure” $70,000-per-year plus benefits teaching job and tutor kids at no charge “than be part of a system that is diametrically opposed to everything I believe education should be.”
“I’ve had it. I quit.”
Watch the epic resignation video here:
Exit question: Do you agree with the teacher? Is our education system broken?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 829 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 262 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 160 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 176 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Slow pokes: Acupuncture helps hypothermic turtles
- Killing of gay man in NYC draws protesters
- Easier travel ahead for Conn. commuters
- Muslim gets life in prison, 6 get lesser terms for killing of Buddhist monk in Myanmar strife
- Marquis wins 5th straight, Padres beat Cards 4-2
- 51 killed in Okla. tornado; toll expected to rise
- Giants RHP Vogelsong breaks hand, out 4-6 weeks
- Oil price rises to near $97 per barrel