TheBlaze’s Will Cain Riles Up CNN’s Don Lemon Over Gun Control: ‘It Doesn’t Stand Up to Critical Thought’
TheBlaze’s Will Cain appeared on CNN Monday morning to discuss the recent tragedy that unfolded at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, where a crazed 20-year-old shot 20 children and 6 adults. And in arguing that while everyone debates gun control, there are other factors at play that need to be evaluated (especially the shooter’s mental health), Cain riled up CNN’s Don Lemon — enough so that Lemon issued quite gun diatribe.
I think that our focus on guns, it’s just, it’s too narrow. It doesn’t stand up to critical thought. Here’s the deal…gun violence [is] down from a peak in the 1990′s, and yet these mass killings are up. Six of the deadliest 12 have happened since 2007, and so if guns are somewhat constant, what is the determining factor? What has changed?
And we must figure out a way to address mental health, analyze mental health– something has changed in our country in the last 40 years…this process of de-institutionalizing mental health, or the rise in psychotropic drugs. This seems to be the only thing that I can pinpoint now that is the delineating factor, and that’s what we must focus [on].
From there, CNN’s Don Lemon reported live from Newtown, Connecticut. In his opinion, mental health is only a “secondary” issue, while the main focus needs to be banning certain types of guns.
Lemon argued (transcript via Newsbusters):
Who needs an armor-piercing bullet to go hunting? Who needs an assault rifle to go hunting? You can’t even use the prey that you kill with an assault rifle if you indeed do it. No one needs an assault rifle to go out and shoot a deer. No one needs an assault rifle that’s capable of shooting 10, 20, 30 rounds off at the same time to shoot a duck, or to shoot quail. It does not make sense.
Our first – the first thing that we need to do – and according to everyone that is here, even gun enthusiasts, is talk about what we’re doing with assault rifles, why should guns that should only be available in war zones, why are they available to people who are mentally healthy and people who are not mentally healthy. That’s the issue that we need to deal with.
To say that gun violence is down, Lemon continued, “is insulting to everyone who lost a loved one here and is dealing with that.”
“Guns, bullets, and automatic weapons” should only be available to those who “hunt al-Qaeda and the Taliban,” and not “elementary school children.”
Watch the clip, via Mediaite, below:
- Associated Press Story: Believe It or Not Mass Killings Are Not on the Rise, They Are on the Decline
- ‘Just Wow’: Watch What Happens to TheBlaze’s Will Cain When He Tries to Explain Romney’s ‘Gift’ Comments on CNN
- CNN Anchor Accuses TheBlaze’s Will Cain of Being ‘Dishonest’ for Denying ‘Birther’ Undertones in Romney Speech
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 474 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 464 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 370 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 330 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 196 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 100 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 107 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Iran's Rafsanjani blasts clerics, says report
- Kerry Kennedy, farmworker protest Wendy's in NYC
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- UK police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier in London.
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- Pritzker's ties to thrift, tax haven eyed
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Shareholder adviser firm paying $300,000 fine