Gun-Carrying Arizona Man Helps Nab Bank Robber — And All He Had to Do Was Show the Suspect He Was Armed
A gun-carrying man in Flagstaff, Ariz. is being credited with helping stop a bank robbery suspect — but he never even had to pull out his gun.
Dave Young was driving up to the Arizona Central Credit Union branch when he saw a friend’s son trying to stop a man jumping over a fence.
Young says he quickly confirmed a bank robbery had occurred and took off after the two in his vehicle.
The Arizona Daily Sun reports Young caught up with the pair and placed his hand on his sidearm, showing the suspect that he was armed. He didn’t pull his gun — but he was ready if he needed to.
Young called 911 and police took the suspect, later identified as 32-year-old Joshua Nesmith, into custody.
“I provided cover for him. If the suspect had tried to pull a weapon I could have stopped him,” Young said. “I told him don’t move. I looked him over for weapons and visually inspected the suspect, then called 911.”
In Arizona, gun owners can carry a concealed or exposed weapon without a permit or training. Young says he’s held a concealed carry permit since 1998. He also said carrying a firearm is the responsibility of able-bodied, law-abiding men.
“I think it’s important if you’re a male with a clean record to protect your community,” Young added. “You should be ready to do something like this if possible.”
However, he went on to say that individuals who carry concealed handguns should receive the same amount of training he has. That training, he explained, taught him how to handle a gun and provided him with the mental and emotional control needed not to draw his weapon unless it is absolutely necessary.
“I didn’t pull the weapon. Nobody got shot,” he said.
Young disagrees with anti-gun advocates calling for stricter gun control in the aftermath of last week’s tragic school shooting in Newtown, Conn. He said it is important to know that responsible gun owners exist and they can have a positive impact on their communities.
“As soon as I leave work, my pistol is at my side, and it doesn’t leave my side unless I’m about to go into a place that doesn’t allow it,” he told the Daily Sun. “Would you feel better if you were shot with a 10-round magazine instead of 30?…If criminals are going to have them, responsible citizens should be able to have them.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 378 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 171 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 286 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 123 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' deaths
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Council members abstain from vote on abstaining
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- Big stores nix credit card settlement, file suit
- Distraught mom becomes face of Oklahoma storm
- IMF chief Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes