NBC’s Richard Engel Describes Terrifying ‘Psychological Torture’ & Execution Threats During Syrian Captivity
It was confirmed this morning that NBC News chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel, 39, was kidnapped along with his crew in Syria and subsequently released. The journalist detailed the horrific experience in an interview with “Today,” noting that his team witnessed the execution of a rebel, underwent psychological torture and survived a firefight, among other terrifying incidents.
Engel explained that the abduction occurred while he and the team, which included cameraman John Kooistra and producer Ghazi Balkiz, were traveling in what they assumed was a rebel-controlled area. But as the three NBC employees drove down a road, 15 armed men jumped out of trees and bushes, dragged them out of the car and proceeded to kidnap them. During the process, one of the rebels accompanying them was executed “on the spot,” the reporter said.
Over their time in captivity, the men were shifted between safe houses and forced to undergo psychological torture. They were blindfolded and bound and subjected to death threats and mock executions.
“We weren’t physically beaten or tortured. It was a lot of psychological torture, threats of being killed,” Engel calmly noted. ”They made us choose which one of us would be shot first and when we refused there were mock shootings. They pretended to shoot several times.”
NBC News has more about how the men were inevitably freed:
Early Monday evening local time, the prisoners were being moved to a new location in a vehicle when their captors ran into a checkpoint manned by members of the Ahrar al-Sham brigade, a Syrian rebel group. There was a confrontation and a firefight ensued. Two of the captors were killed, while an unknown number of others escaped, the network said.
The NBC News crew was unharmed in the incident. They remained in Syria until Tuesday morning when they made their way to the border and re-entered Turkey, the network said. They were to be evaluated and debriefed, but had communicated that everyone was in good health.
Watch Engel, Kooistra and Balkiz explain the incident in detail, below:
(H/T: NBC News)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 375 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 315 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 159 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 270 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 118 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 117 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Oil tracks gains in stocks, erases early losses
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- New Victory Theater offers Bob Marley, Shakespeare
- Q&A: What is known about London attack
- Clashes in Lebanon feed fear of Syria spillover
- Anti-war protester shouts at Obama during speech