NRA Breaks Silence on Sandy Hook Shooting: ‘We Were Shocked, Saddened and Heartbroken’
The National Rifle Association broke its silence on the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre on Tuesday, issuing a statement and vowing to “offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.” The organization plans to hold a major news conference on Friday in the Washington, D.C. area.
The gun rights organization was criticized by some anti-gun advocates for not speaking out following the shooting. However, the NRA said it was quiet out of respect for the families of the victims.
Read the NRA’s first statement since the tragic mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. last week:
National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.
Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.
The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.
The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.
Featured image via AP
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 856 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 289 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 270 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 242 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 170 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 183 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 140 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- South Africa: Winnie Mandela forced auction flops
- 3 Hezbollah fighters die of wounds from Syria
- Futures fall as markets await hints from Fed
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Apple's Cook to face Senate questions on taxes
- Group: More Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes'
- Vodafone annual profits up 1.9 percent
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival