White House: Obama ‘Actively Supportive’ of Assault Weapons Ban
(TheBlaze/AP) — The White House says President Barack Obama is “actively supportive” of efforts on Capitol Hill to reinstate an assault weapons ban, marking a change from the more open-ended support of “change” in days and years past.
President Obama has long backed stricter gun laws, but failed to make significant headway during his first term.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) plans to introduce legislation to reinstate the ban early next year, and while White House spokesman Jay Carney was noncommittal yesterday, he’s now put the White House on record.
“He is actively supportive of, for example, Sen. [Dianne] Feinstein’s stated intent to revive a piece of legislation that would reinstate the assault weapons ban,” Carney remarked Tuesday during his daily briefing.
Carney says Obama would also consider legislation to close the gun show “loophole,” and regulate certain ammunition clips.
“He supports and would support legislation that addresses the problem of the so-called gun show loophole, and there are other elements of gun legislation that he could support … high capacity ammunition clips, for example. That is certainly something he would be interested in looking at.”
Obama has pledged to address gun violence in the coming weeks, following Friday’s deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school. He told the nation Sunday at a vigil for the victims that we will have to “change.”
Carney added that Obama spoke Tuesday with West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, a conservative Democrat and avid hunter who is now supportive of a national discussion on preventing gun violence.
According to Carney, Obama is “heartened” by what he has heard from some members of Congress who have been “longtime opponents” of certain gun control measures.
Manchin released a statement about the discussion later Tuesday (via Politico):
We agree that as Americans and parents, all of our children belong to all of us – and we must work together to keep our precious children safe.
I believe that we must have a dialogue and bring parties from all sides to the table. I know my friends at the NRA and those who support our Second Amendment rights will participate because I know that their hearts are aching for the families in Newtown, just like all Americans.
To have a productive dialogue, we also need to address a number of critical issues, including our mental health system, safety in our schools and a media and entertainment culture that glorifies unspeakable violence. [Emphasis added]
Here is video of Carney’s remarks, via Politico:
- Commentary: The Liberal Worldview Reaction to the Violence in Connecticut
- Commentary: Former Navy SEAL Reveals 3 Ways to Protect Your Children
- Private Equity Firm Sells Its Stake in Gun Manufacturer Because of Shooting: ‘Watershed Event’
- President Obama Speaks at Newtown, CT Prayer Vigil: ‘We Will Have to Change’
- Should Americans Learn From Israeli Gun Laws?
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 551 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 326 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 207 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 220 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school