Austin Restaurant Closes Amid Furor Over Owner’s Outrageous Comments About Sandy Hook Victims
Editor’s note: This post contains strong language that may be offensive to some readers.
Just hours after the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, Austin business owner Eddie Nimibutr wrote on his personal Facebook page that he didn’t “care if a bunch of white kids got killed.”
The resulting backlash was both swift and severe. On Monday, Nimibutr’s restaurant, Thai Noodle House, was forced to close its doors and turn off its lights, KEYE-TV reported. Only time will tell if the close is permanent, but the owner said the restaurant will stay closed for the time being for fear retaliation against him and his employees.
After initially refusing to apologize and telling those who disagreed with him they didn’t have to eat at his restaurant, Nimibutr provided an apology of sorts to KEYE-TV, but he did not completely take back his statement.
“[It] was a bad response, I shouldn’t have said it in those words,” said Nimibutr. “Looking back at it, it was better to say something than to be silent.”
In case you missed it, this is the portion of Nimibutr’s Facebook post that landed him in hot water:
“I don’t care if a bunch of white kids got killed. F**k Post-Racial bullsh*t. When kids from minority groups get shot, nobody cares. When Israel launched missiles at the school on Gaza, everybody was too busy jerking off. Why should i care about people who dont give a damn about me?”
His offensive post quickly went viral and was picked up by local and national media. Now he says he is “shocked” and “a little bit scared too.” Nimibutr claims he has been receiving death threats and people have been driving by his home and business.
“I do apologize, because maybe it was a little insensitive to write something like that, right that day the day of the shooting,” he told KEYE-TV.
But the restaurant owner says he just wanted to shine light on violence around the world and mental health issues.
“Nothing is being done, I mean were talking about gun laws, you know, Congress is going to do this, Congress is going to do that,” he said.
A Facebook page calling for a boycott of the restaurant has since been created, with hundreds people demanding an apology.
To watch KEYE-TV’s video report, click here.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 459 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 246 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 114 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans