Austin Restaurant Closes Amid Furor Over Owner’s Outrageous Comments About Sandy Hook Victims
Editor’s note: This post contains strong language that may be offensive to some readers.
Just hours after the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, Austin business owner Eddie Nimibutr wrote on his personal Facebook page that he didn’t “care if a bunch of white kids got killed.”
The resulting backlash was both swift and severe. On Monday, Nimibutr’s restaurant, Thai Noodle House, was forced to close its doors and turn off its lights, KEYE-TV reported. Only time will tell if the close is permanent, but the owner said the restaurant will stay closed for the time being for fear retaliation against him and his employees.
After initially refusing to apologize and telling those who disagreed with him they didn’t have to eat at his restaurant, Nimibutr provided an apology of sorts to KEYE-TV, but he did not completely take back his statement.
“[It] was a bad response, I shouldn’t have said it in those words,” said Nimibutr. “Looking back at it, it was better to say something than to be silent.”
In case you missed it, this is the portion of Nimibutr’s Facebook post that landed him in hot water:
“I don’t care if a bunch of white kids got killed. F**k Post-Racial bullsh*t. When kids from minority groups get shot, nobody cares. When Israel launched missiles at the school on Gaza, everybody was too busy jerking off. Why should i care about people who dont give a damn about me?”
His offensive post quickly went viral and was picked up by local and national media. Now he says he is “shocked” and “a little bit scared too.” Nimibutr claims he has been receiving death threats and people have been driving by his home and business.
“I do apologize, because maybe it was a little insensitive to write something like that, right that day the day of the shooting,” he told KEYE-TV.
But the restaurant owner says he just wanted to shine light on violence around the world and mental health issues.
“Nothing is being done, I mean were talking about gun laws, you know, Congress is going to do this, Congress is going to do that,” he said.
A Facebook page calling for a boycott of the restaurant has since been created, with hundreds people demanding an apology.
To watch KEYE-TV’s video report, click here.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 441 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 422 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 404 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 162 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 134 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 242 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 263 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Emails show AEG lawyer called Jackson a 'freak'
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Talk of lies, pride as Trump case goes to jury
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes