Golden Eagle Swoops Down and Nearly Flies Away With Toddler – But Is It Real? (Update: NO!)
(Editor’s note: As many had speculated, the video in this original post was a clever creation by some film students. See the full story attached at the end of this post.)
This clip will give every parent — wait, every single person who watches it — a chill. However, questions being raised about the video’s veracity.
It starts innocently enough by showing a beautiful Golden Eagle circling the blue skies above a park in Montreal.
For the non-bird watchers among us, according to National Geographic, the Golden Eagle is the largest bird of prey in North America. The bird typically feeds on ground squirrels and rabbits. Nat Geo also reports that the Golden Eagle has the ability to strike with amazing speed: “They are extremely swift, and can dive upon their quarry at speeds of more than 150 miles per hour.”
In the viral video, the camera follows the bird as it swoops from the sky into the park, and tries to grab a small child from the grass.
The bird did manage to grab and lift the child a few feet off the ground before letting go. The mother and cameraman rushed to the scene to comfort the apparently uninjured baby.
Did the baby’s hat – featuring two large eyes – have anything to do with attracting the bird from the sky?
Some web commenters have suggested that the video is a fake. We have watched it several times and believe it to be real. The Toronto Star is reporting that police in Montreal say that no one has called in a report about the alleged attempted abduction.
What do you think? Watch the entire clip (content warning for graphic language), and share your opinion in the comments section. Is it real or is it just a clever clip?
You can watch us debate if the video is real or not during our BlazeCast show from earlier today:
The video is a fake. Part of a “Hoax the Internet” competition from Centre NAD in Montreal. The admission of “guilt” from the NAD website:
The “Golden Eagle Snatches Kid” video, uploaded to YouTube on the evening of December 18, was made by Normand Archambault, Loïc Mireault and Félix Marquis-Poulin, students at Centre NAD, in the production simulation workshop class of the Bachelors degree in 3D Animation and Digital Design.
The video shows a royal eagle snatching a young kid while he plays under the watch of his dad. The eagle then drops the kid a few feet away. Both the eagle and the kid were created in 3D animation and integrated in to the film afterwards.
The video has already received more than 1,200,000 views on YouTube and has been mentioned by dozens of media in Canada and abroad.
The production simulation workshop class, offered in fifth semester, aims to produce creative projects according to industry production and quality standards while developing team work skills. Hoaxes produced in this class have already garnered attention, amongst others a video of a penguin having escaped the Montreal Biodôme.
If you guessed “fake” — pat yourself on the back. We cannot wait for next year’s efforts.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 518 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 462 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 446 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 329 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 258 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- UN chief arrives in Goma, Congo
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Japanese climber, 80, becomes oldest atop Everest
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Simultaneous car bomb attacks in Niger
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone