Christians Stage Stunning ‘Nativity Flash Mob’ Inside CA Mall in Response to Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’
Throughout 2012, Santa Monica, Calif., has been home to intense debate over the separation of church and state. Following atheist furor over a traditional nativity scene, the city decided to ban religious speech in Palisades Park. We’ve already reported about the live nativity loophole Christians used to ensure that symbols pertaining to Jesus’ birth appeared in the park — but some believers also resorted to another tactic: Staging a “Nativity Flash Mob” inside of a local shopping center.
In an effort to prove that celebrating the Christmas season in its true form is a societal right, Christians from Metro Calvary Chapel in Santa Monica and others from around the Orange County area put on an unexpected holiday show at the Santa Monica Place Mall on Dec. 16th.
What started out as one woman caroling beautifully in the middle of the mall quickly evolved into a much larger spectacle (all captured on video, of course). Within seconds, others joined her in singing traditional Christmas hymns, while another woman placed an empty manger near the group.
Then, just as “O Come, All Ye Faithful” began being belted out, Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus — in full costume — appeared near the manger. Before long, other characters associated with the nativity emerged, as a crowd began circling the spectacle with cameras.
A video that captures the show, which extended for more than six minutes, culminates with a round of applause from shoppers and passer-byes who stopped to see it.
Watch the “Nativity Flash Mob,” below:
A press release about the endeavor claims that, rather than get angry about atheist attacks on Santa Monica’s 60-year nativity tradition, those involved in the flash mob decided “to do what matters most.” And what is that, you ask? Telling the Christmas story to as many people as possible.
“What matters is that the Christmas story needs to be told – it’s part of the Great Commission for Christians,” the press release reads. “And this time of year, Christians should be able to celebrate freely, carry on the message, and not be hiding for fear of offending someone.”
Judging from the applause inside Santa Monica Place Mall, it didn’t sound as though anyone was offended. For more about the ongoing nativity drama in Santa Monica, read TheBlaze’s intensive coverage.
- Christians Stage Live Nativity in Protest Against Santa Monica’s Atheist-Led Nativity Ban (See it Here)
- Nativity on Wheels! PA Community Battles Atheist Complaints With Display of Jesus’ Birth on Platform in Front of City Hall
- Christians Find ‘Creative’ Loophole in Atheist-Inspired Santa Monica Nativity Ban & Secure Permit for ‘Live’ Display
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 504 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 391 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 390 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 202 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 139 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 101 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 125 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- Kreider keeps Rangers alive with OT goal
- Brown hounded for calling Manila 'gates of hell'
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Extremists claim responsibility for Niger attacks
- WikiLeaks leaks 'We Steal Secrets' doc transcript
- Study: No higher cancer rate at Conn. Pratt plants
- GOP's Walker touts state ties during trip to Iowa