Here’s Why You Might Want to Turn Off the Volume If You’re Hopping on to Facebook at Work
You might have a cubicle nestled far in the office corner or perhaps even your own office room, but if you’re going to sneak on to Facebook during work hours — or even if you’re going to take a peak at your newsfeed while in public in general — it might behoove you in the future to turn your volume off.
The social media site is reportedly going to begin running autoplay video ads come spring. You know the ones that start up blaring catchy marketing without you pushing play. The ones that might not even have a working pause button. The ones that reveal to everyone around you that you’re on a site that might not be related to your job.
As the Atlantic Wire’s Rebecca Greenfield points out, you might be familiar with these “horrible” ads if you’re a frequenter of ESPN.com, but many other sites run them as well.
According to Ad Age (via CNET), Facebook hopes the autoplay ads will draw attention of those looking at their Facebook timelines. But the potential for unwanted noise pollution is not a done deal yet. Ad Age reported that executives are still debating if the audio portion will already start up. Some autoplay ads, like those occasionally on YouTube, might start playing the visual action, but not the audio unless you enable it.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 420 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested