Old Mr. Rogers Quote Goes Viral After Newtown Tragedy — See Which One It Is
One of the most difficult aspects about the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut– where a crazed gunman shot 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary last Friday– is explaining the event to children.
By Saturday, various news outlets had already begun offering words of advice.
“Ask your kids what they’ve heard” before offering any additional information, one article suggests. “Remain calm,” it emphasizes.
But really, after such a horrific tragedy, most adults are in need of reassurance also, and remaining calm does little to put the event in perspective. It is merely an act in damage control.
That’s likely why this quote from iconic American educator Fred (“Mister”) Rogers has gone viral on social media:
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
The quote was posted with the above photo on Facebook, and had over 88,000 “shares” in just a few days.
PBS has some background information on the quote:
The quote was taken from a timely video in which Rogers advises parents on how to help their children during times of tragedy. You can watch that original video and see more photos and videos of Rogers here on the PBS Parents page.
Photographer Jim Judkis captured the photo in 1978 at The Children’s Institute in Pittsburgh, then known as the Memorial Home for Crippled Children.
When told that the photo he had taken of Mister Rogers decades ago had gone viral on the Internet, accompanied by a Rogers quote, photographer Jim Judkis thought it was a perfect match.
“I think it went viral because … it focuses on the positive. It’s a way of leading you out of the bad towards the good,” he concluded.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Syria govt to take part in peace conference
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
- Obama balances threats against Americans' rights
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit