Poll: 62 Percent of Americans Favor Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons Ban
A new CNN poll released Wednesday found 52 percent of Americans favor major restrictions on gun ownership or making all guns illegal, less than a week after the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn.
That’s 5 points higher than a CNN survey found after the shootings at an Aurora, Colo. movie theater and at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin this summer.
The latest poll found that 62 percent of Americans favor a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.
Forty-three percent said the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting made them more likely to support gun control laws, up 15 points from the January 2011 shooting in Tucson, Ariz. that killed six and severely injured then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and others.
CNN found a sharp partisan divide among respondents: Close to 80 percent of Democrats said they favor major gun ownership restrictions or a complete ban, compared to 42 percent of independents and 31 percent of Republicans. Men were also less likely to support such restrictions at 41 percent, compared to 62 percent of women who said they would.
Other polls released this week registered similar upticks in support for gun laws: A Reuters poll released Monday found 50 percent of Americans agreed that “gun ownership should have strong regulations or restrictions,” compared with 42 percent before the Newtown shooting, and a CBS News poll found a 10-year high of 57 percent of Americans who support stricter gun control measures.
Featured image via AP
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 391 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 275 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4