See Boehner’s 54-Second Challenge to President Obama: Sign ‘Plan B’ or Own The Consequences
House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Wednesday vowed that his backup tax bill, dubbed “Plan B,” would pass the House and challenged President Obama to either accept it or be responsible for the “largest tax increase in American history.”
“The president’s offer of $1.3 trillion in revenues and $850 billion in spending reductions fails to meet the test that the president promised the American people – a balanced approach,” Boehner said during an extraordinarily brief press conference. “I hope the president will get serious soon about providing and working with us on a balanced approach.”
“Tomorrow, the House will pass legislation to make permanent tax relief for nearly every American — 99.81 percent of the American people,” he added.
“Then, the president will have a decision to make. He can call on the Senate Democrats to pass that bill, or he can be responsible for the largest tax increase in American history.”
Shortly after Rep. Boehner introduced his “just in case” plan yesterday morning, the White House batted it down, saying it “fails to meet President Barack Obama’s call for a balanced approach and does not put enough of a tax burden on the wealthiest Americans.”
“The president is hopeful that both sides can work out remaining differences and reach a solution so we don’t miss the opportunity in front of us today,” said White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.
Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) assured members of the press that “Plan B” would never pass the senate.
“Speaker Boehner’s ‘plan B’ is the farthest thing from a balanced approach,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s office said in a statement. “It will not protect middle class families because it cannot pass both Houses of Congress.”
“Now is the time to show leadership, not kick the can down the road,” Reid said. “Speaker Boehner should focus his energy on forging a large-scale deficit reduction agreement. It would be a shame if Republicans abandoned productive negotiations due to pressure from the tea party, as they have time and again.”
Boehner has called for a separate bill to address only taxes. He wants lawmakers to extend tax cuts for people making up to $1 million. He has also called for entitlement cuts and a tax reform debate next year.
In addition to allowing a tax increase for million-dollar earners, the Boehner plan would prevent an expansion of the alternative minimum tax that would otherwise hit 28 million middle- and upper-class Americans with an average $3,700 increase on their 2012 tax returns.
The “fiscal cliff” cliff ball is once against in President Obama’s court.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
The AP contributed to this report. Featured image courtesy the AP.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 514 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 308 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom