Should Prayer & the Bible Be Part of America’s Public School Culture?
Should prayer be more prevalent in public schools?
Following the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School last Friday, this is one of the many cultural questions that is being asked, as Americans grapple with understanding the senseless rampage. In October, well before the horror unfolded in Connecticut, TheBlaze asked readers to weigh in on the debate over faith and its presence in public schools – a contentious subject that has, once again, come to the forefront this week.
The results of the Blaze poll are fascinating. When asked whether it is appropriate for public school teachers to lead prayer in the classroom, the majority of readers who participated in the poll answered affirmatively. While 54 percent contend that it is appropriate, 46 percent claim that it is not (1,658 individuals answered this question).
As for the relevance of prayer in public schools, 82 percent of respondents noted that it is sometimes pertinent for prayer to be present in public schools, with 18 percent rejecting this ideal.
In a separate question, 64 percent of respondents said that they would support a teacher leading Christian prayers in the classroom, with 36 percent rejecting such a notion (of 1,686 participants).
As for reading out of the Bible during class time, 74 percent of the 1,674 people who answered this question support teachers taking such actions; 26 percent do not.
In contrast, 95 percent of those participating said that they would not be supportive of teachers leading Muslim prayers, with only five percent claiming that they would be. These proportions transition a bit when the words “Muslim prayers” were switched out for “non-Christian prayers.” The latter numbers were 88 percent and 12 percent, respectably.
These beliefs coincide with the notion that America is a Christian nation. While derived from a smaller sample size (975), 91 percent of readers who took the poll believe that “the USA is a Christian nation founded under Christian beliefs?” Only nine percent disagreed with this statement.
Despite concerns that sometimes arise over separation of church and state, many of these findings are not necessarily surprising. With the vast majority of Americans embracing Christian ideals, it’s no wonder there is widespread support for Christian invocations.
What do you think about prayer in schools and America’s religious heritage? Let us know in the comments section below.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 403 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 350 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 290 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 203 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 109 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- Cannes: Scott Thomas' glorious dip into darkness
- Benghazi review leader OKs meeting with committee
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill
- Stocks fall on news Fed weighed cutting stimulus