‘What Law Would Have Stopped Adam Lanza?’: TheBlaze’s Will Cain Clashes With CNN Panel on Gun Control
TheBlaze’s Will Cain appeared as a panelist on CNN Wednesday with a roundtable that included Christiane Amanpour and Soledad O’Brien, and the three got in a contentious discussion over gun control.
Discussing the recent tragedy in Newtown, CT, where 26 people where shot at an elementary school, Amanpour began:
I just think it’s not brain surgery anymore, and the question really is, are these children going to have been slaughtered in vain? These weapons, Soledad, are used on battlefields. I have seen children like that slaughtered from Sarajevo to Somalia, and it is now happening on Syria. And it is now happening in the United States. The Second Amendment does not infringe on the right of hunters…[Senator] Joe Manchin said to me, ‘I don’t need high capacity magazines…’
At that point, Will Cain cut in to note that the issue at stake is not the convenience of hunters. It is both about our rights, and the fact that gun bans often have a history of backfiring.
Absent an absolute ban, [like] they’ve accomplished in Japan– basically an absolute ban– absent that, when you say we’re just going to limit assault rifles…what we’re talking about, specifically in incidents over the past week, are premeditated psychopathic killers who will find the weapons they need to perpetuate these crimes. They’re like a drunkard…If you outlaw whiskey, will you reduce drunk driving?
Amanpour then cut in, claiming Cain had brought up an excellent point in her favor regarding drunk driving.
“It was considered cool” to have a drink and get behind the wheel several decades ago, she said, until Mothers Against Drunk Driving (M.A.D.D.) stepped in. After the panel erupted to determine whether that marks a a fair analogy– a public relations campaign and national ban being two very different things– O’Brien tried to push stricter regulation, noting that only between 2%-8% of violent crimes are committed with “assault rifles.”
But Cain noted: “So then we end up having conversations around something that amounts to 2% of the gun violence…You need to tie the law you’re proposing to making actual improvements.”
Roland Martin, who had been largely absent from the conversation until that point, implored that we at least have a “starting point,” even if it only tackles 2%-8% of violent crimes.
Cain brought the issue home before the segment closed.
“What law would have stopped Adam Lanza? Think about that.”
Watch the entire segment, below:
- ‘Just Wow’: Watch What Happens to TheBlaze’s Will Cain When He Tries to Explain Romney’s ‘Gift’ Comments on CNN
- TheBlaze’s Will Cain Riles Up CNN’s Don Lemon Over Gun Control: ‘It Doesn’t Stand Up to Critical Thought’
- CNN Anchor Accuses TheBlaze’s Will Cain of Being ‘Dishonest’ for Denying ‘Birther’ Undertones in Romney Speech
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 596 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 522 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 409 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 341 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 297 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 296 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 154 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- A list of previous Palme d'Or winners at Cannes
- Iranian director facing jail appears in Cannes
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner
- Palme d'Or race wide open at Cannes Film Festival
- Beckham not in PSG squad for last game vs. Lorient
- 10 things to know for the Champions League final
- Rosberg fastest again in crash-marred 3rd practice