Obama’s Silence on Ex-Marine Jailed in Mexico Incites Heated Exchange Between Fox News Hosts
During a guest appearance Thursday on “The Five,” Fox News host Bill O’Reilly got into a heated exchange with one of the show’s co-hosts over President Barack Obama’s silence on ex-Marine Jon Hammar, who has been imprisoned in Mexico on a disputed gun charge since August.
“You don’t think the United States government is not trying their damnedest to get this guy out of there? And by the way, there are thousands of American prisoners in Mexico,” co-host Bob Beckel asked O’Reilly.
“Not like this. This is really egregious,” O’Reilly replied. “He had paperwork, he brought in the paperwork over to the Mexicans and they grabbed him for extortion purposes. Now, what they are doing behind the scenes, I’m assuming they are doing what they should do. But should they have made a public statement before this time? Yes, they should. That is what leadership is. Especially a commander-in-chief, you don’t let one of your guys get chained to a bed in Matamoros.”
He later went on: “We had the parents on last night…The State Department tells the parents, ‘We can’t do anything’…But we have a scientist in jail in Pakistan for 30 years and this is a guy that helped us get bin Laden. What has President Obama done about that? Nothing.”
Mediaite tracks some of the ensuing back-and-forth:
“That’s not right,” Beckel retorted. “They’ve gone to the ISI and they tried to get him out.”
“Who is they? Who went to ISI?” O’Reilly asked.
“I assume the CIA,” said Beckel.
“You assume a lot,” O’Reilly snarked back, sending the conversation into a shout-fest.
“You’re assuming something,” Beckel shouted.
“I’m not,” O’Reilly shouted. “I’m a fact-based guy. Have we seen Hillary Clinton say anything publicly? Seen the president say anything publicly? No. That is the fact.”
“You think saying something publicly is policy?” Beckel asked.
“So leadership is not saying anything and allowing people to assume we’re doing something? That’s Bob Beckel’s leadership. Let’s hear it for him,” O’Reilly responded by mock-clapping the liberal co-host. Beckel shot back that it’s unfair for him to assume the Obama administration is doing nothing to fix the situation.
Watch the entire war of words via Fox News/Mediaite below:
From a previous report by TheBlaze:
[Jon] Hammar and a friend were detained by Mexican authorities in August for a gun-related incident. The two men had crossed the border and provided the paperwork for the weapon they were carrying, an antique shotgun. However, police eventually impounded their RV and jailed both men, claiming it was illegal to carry that type of gun. Hammar’s friend was later released because the gun did not belong to him.
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 282 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 243 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 242 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 180 Comments
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 183 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- President Obama to speak on Oklahoma disaster
- Pigeon sale yields world record for feathered Bolt
- Burberry's profit hit by perfume deal's demise
- How the French economy compares to Germany's, UK's
- Housing recovery boosts Home Depot 1Q results
- Moscow blasts alleged vote theft at Eurovision
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans
- Sprint to listen to Dish offer