Chris Christie on 2016 Presidential Run: ‘If It Comes…I Will Be More Ready’ Than I Was in 2012
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie made it clear that 2012 wasn’t the right year for him to make a run for the American presidency. But with the dust now settled following President Barack Obama’s re-election win and with eyes beginning to set on 2016, it seems the Republican leader has a more positive take on a potential future candidacy.
In an interview with Steve Adubato, host of “Conversations at NJPAC,” Christie talked about his potential rise to the national stage. In addition to speaking about personal preparedness, he also gave his take on the crisis facing the Republican Party.
“I wasn’t ready to run for president this time,” the governor told Adubato.
While he made no definitive statements about the next presidential race, Christie did note that he would be more prepared for the opportunity should it inevitably arise.
“If it comes, I know that I will be more ready for it than I would have been this year,” he told the host.
But Christie’s own career wasn’t the only subject on the table. Larger issues like the Republican Party’s future and preventing gun violence were also discussed. As for the GOP’s current status, Christie shared a perspective that many on both sides of the aisle have embraced — the notion that the movement’s messaging isn’t resonating with the American populace.
“We lost two national elections in a row,” he admitted. “We’re not connecting with Americans on the issues that matter most to them. We haven’t had the best candidates.”
This comment is curious, of course, because Christie supported Romney. The governor did, however, say that the Republican, who lost to Obama in November, “is a good man,” but he reiterated that “he simply didn’t connect with Americans.”
Christie also defended his praise of the president in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, essentially calling his comments a non-controversy.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 554 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 479 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 330 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 216 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 228 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't