Dem. Rep. Launches Brutal Attack on GOP, Apologizes to Officials During Libya Hearing: ‘You Have Been Used as a Ruse’
Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-N.Y.) used a House hearing on the deadly Benghazi, Libya attacks to slam his fellow members of Congress and to apologize to testifying State Department officials whom he said have been “used as a ruse” for partisan attacks.
“I want to first start by apologizing to the deputy secretaries because you have been used as a ruse,” Ackerman said during the House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing. “You are being used as foils to the conflicting intentions of some people on our committee and others in Washington for partisan political purposes and are not here really to explain how we can work together more cooperatively as Americans to make things better.”
Ackerman, who did not run for re-election in November after announcing his decision to retire, said he fears Congress has become a “partisan bickering bunch of grousing old people trying to exploit whatever we can to our political advantage.”
“We’ve become people who want to exploit any kind of national calamity to the political advantage of our party,” Ackerman said. “And the public is sick and tired of it. As they should be.”
He suggested Republicans reexamine their approach, saying, “the voters didn’t reject your policies, they rejected your attitude.”
He said the political discourse has become poisoned, particularly as directed toward President Barack Obama with people who “refer to him in such vile terms. Trying to take down and disqualify an admin as being illegitimate.”
“Trying to quibble around here on this particular [Benghazi] issue of the narrative rather than how we work together to make things better, to quibble over somebody said a particular word or didn’t use the right word, rather than figure out how to avoid the mistakes that might been made to not lose American lives in the future,” he said.
Ackerman also spoke up in defense of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who was originally slated to testify herself before the committee before sustaining a concussion after fainting during a stomach virus.
“Derogatorily looking at the secretary of state who has worked herself to the bone to the point of dehydration and exhaustion…does a disservice to the job she has done in the name of all of us,” he said.
Ackerman said he personally has disagreed with presidents, but once policy has been set try to make it work “because the failure of a president is the failure of a nation.”
“We’ve come here to either play defense or offense and defend our point of view rather than do what’s right in the name of our country,” he said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 581 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 496 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 314 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US