Final Third Quarter Estimates Are In: How’d we do?
Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 3.1 percent in the third quarter (Q3) of 2012, up from Q2’s lackluster rate of 1.3 percent, according to the Commerce Department’s “third” and final estimate of the data.
GDP is a measurement of the value of a nation’s total output of goods and services. This is the first time since Q4 2011 that we’ve had a 3 percent-plus print.
“The GDP estimate released today is based on more complete source data than were available for the ‘second’ estimate issued last month. In the second estimate, the increase in real GDP was 2.7 percent,” the agency said on a statement on Thursday.
“The third estimate has not greatly changed the general picture of the economy for the third quarter except that personal consumption expenditures (PCE) is now showing a modest pickup, and imports is now showing a downturn,” the statement adds.
And this is where we find out what spurred Q3 growth [emphases added]:
The acceleration in real GDP in the third quarter primarily reflected upturns in private inventory investment and in federal government spending, a downturn in imports [“which are a subtraction in the calculation of GDP”], an upturn in state and local government spending, and an acceleration in residential fixed investment that were partly offset by a downturn in nonresidential fixed investment and a deceleration in exports.
Get that? Nearly half of that 3.1 percent annual rate is because of government spending (0.74 percent) and inventories (0.73 percent)
“Annualized Personal Consumption as a portion of the final number rose modestly from 0.99% to 1.12%, but still is well below the 1.42% in the first Q3 GDP estimate,” Zero Hedge notes.
Lastly, and this is crucial to note, fixed investment — an important indicator of longer-term economic growth — remain flat at 0.12 percent.
“In other words,” Zero Hedge explains, “in Q3 companies stubbornly refused to invest in capital investment … and will continue to do so as long as the Fed makes ‘investing’ in dividends and buybacks a more rewarding option.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 283 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 258 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 115 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 195 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 133 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 105 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All is Lost'
- UK, Denmark eyes visas for Afghan interpreters
- Official: Treasury played no role in IRS targeting
- Stocks edge higher as investors watch the Fed
- Richard Carrion declares IOC presidential bid