Final Third Quarter Estimates Are In: How’d we do?
Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 3.1 percent in the third quarter (Q3) of 2012, up from Q2’s lackluster rate of 1.3 percent, according to the Commerce Department’s “third” and final estimate of the data.
GDP is a measurement of the value of a nation’s total output of goods and services. This is the first time since Q4 2011 that we’ve had a 3 percent-plus print.
“The GDP estimate released today is based on more complete source data than were available for the ‘second’ estimate issued last month. In the second estimate, the increase in real GDP was 2.7 percent,” the agency said on a statement on Thursday.
“The third estimate has not greatly changed the general picture of the economy for the third quarter except that personal consumption expenditures (PCE) is now showing a modest pickup, and imports is now showing a downturn,” the statement adds.
And this is where we find out what spurred Q3 growth [emphases added]:
The acceleration in real GDP in the third quarter primarily reflected upturns in private inventory investment and in federal government spending, a downturn in imports [“which are a subtraction in the calculation of GDP”], an upturn in state and local government spending, and an acceleration in residential fixed investment that were partly offset by a downturn in nonresidential fixed investment and a deceleration in exports.
Get that? Nearly half of that 3.1 percent annual rate is because of government spending (0.74 percent) and inventories (0.73 percent)
“Annualized Personal Consumption as a portion of the final number rose modestly from 0.99% to 1.12%, but still is well below the 1.42% in the first Q3 GDP estimate,” Zero Hedge notes.
Lastly, and this is crucial to note, fixed investment — an important indicator of longer-term economic growth — remain flat at 0.12 percent.
“In other words,” Zero Hedge explains, “in Q3 companies stubbornly refused to invest in capital investment … and will continue to do so as long as the Fed makes ‘investing’ in dividends and buybacks a more rewarding option.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 460 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 246 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 115 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans