Hannity Battles With Atheist Over Anti-Christmas ‘Myth’ Billboard & the Big Bang: ‘Rude,’ ‘Narcissistic’ & ‘Mean’
American Atheists (AA) president David Silverman is a frequent guest on Fox News, where he regularly tussles with conservative hosts over a plethora of issues pertaining to the separation of church and state. Last month, Silverman debated Bill O’Reilly about the War on Christmas. And on Thursday night, he returned to battle Sean Hannity over his group’s potentially-offensive, anti-Christmas billboard in New York’s Times Square.
As TheBlaze previously reported, the controversial message, which reads, “Keep the Merry! Dump the Myth!,” is meant to attack the religious sentiments associated with the Christmas season. The sign includes an image of Santa with a photo of Jesus suffering on the cross. The “merry” corresponds to the traditional Christmas mascot, while “myth” (in caps) is presented beneath the Christian savior’s picture.
The segment opens with a montage of comments from people who are unhappy to see the ad posted in one of the busiest areas of New York City. The reactions ranged from “horrible” and “disgusting” to “I don’t like it.” Even Santa, himself, rejected the anti-Christian message.
Following these comments, Hannity wasted no time targeting the billboard as offensive and questioning Silverman’s motivations for posting it. The atheist activist doubled down and, instead of focusing upon the negative connotations, he claimed that the billboard is meant to attract the attention of non-believers who go to church to celebrate Christmas because of pressure from their families.
“You want to insult people. You want to attack them. You want to stick it in the ribs on their holiday,” Hannity charged. “And you just want to be rude and narcissistic and mean. Why?”
Silverman obviously rejected these claims, noting that AA is actually looking to help non-believers cope with the religious nature of the holiday season.
“There’s a lot of familial and social pressure that keeps atheists in the closet,” he responded, noting that he and his group are working “to tell the atheists of this country that they are not alone.”
The debate extended into the Big Bang, what happens after people die and other related issues. Watch it unfold, below:
The interview concluded with Hannity throwing a “Merry Christmas” Silverman’s way. In response, the atheist leader poked back, saying, “Happy Holidays, Sean.”
- Bill O’Reilly Unleashes on ‘Secular Clown Posse,’ Lectures Media About the Nativity & the Founding Fathers
- Atheists Post Anti-Christmas Billboard in Times Square, Featuring Jesus Being Crucified: ‘Dump the Myth!’
- Bill O’Reilly and Atheist Leader Have Gonzo Confrontation Over Christmas: ‘You Are a Fascist!’
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,000 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 439 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 162 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 194 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot