Here’s the Audio of the NY Gov. Talking Gun Control: ‘Confiscation Could Be an Option’
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D-N.Y.) said Thursday that all options, including confiscation and “mandatory sales to the state,” would be on the table next month when the New York State Legislature debates new gun control measures. The comments were specifically aimed at what might happen should stricter rules be imposed on “assault” weapons and high-capacity magazines.
The governor said he plans on proposing a package of gun legislation in his State of the State address on Jan. 9.
“There’s a big difference of opinion on these issues,” Gov. Cuomo said today during a radio interview with Albany’s WGDJ-AM.
Mr. Cuomo explained that because gun control hasn’t been a recent topic of discussion in the capital, he has chosen to reach out to lawmakers to see where they stand on the issue before he submits his final proposal.
The governor also explained that he would focus his attention on changing state laws regarding the possession of what the media confusingly calls “assault weapons” (“there’s no real definition of the term,” the Washington Examiner’s Tim Carney notes) and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
New York’s existing ban on those items has “more holes than Swiss cheese,” said the governor.
“I don’t think legitimate sportsmen are going to say, ‘I need an assault weapon to go hunting,’” he said.
However, he was also careful to note that he owns and regularly hunts with a shotgun, saying, “There is a balance here — I understand the rights of gun owners; I understand the rights of hunters.”
He also noted that some “assault” weapons bans have in the past been “cosmetic.”
During the course of the interview, Gov. Cuomo didn’t outline any specific gun control measures, but he did say the following: “Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.”
He also dismissed rumors that lawmakers would be called back to Albany next week for a emergency session dedicated to the subject of gun control.
“The only thing that’s going to happen in the next few days is Christmas,” he said.
Although the Democrat-controlled New York Assembly has in the past voted for several gun control measures, these bills were all DOA once they made their way to the Republican-controlled Senate.
However, starting next month, the Senate will be run by a combination of Republicans and what the New York Times refers to as “a breakaway faction of Democrats.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images. This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,040 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Investors edgy ahead of Bernanke testimony
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike in prison
- Germany backs terror label for Hezbollah militants
- Germany celebrates composer Wagner's 200th
- Ahead of the Bell: HP's 2Q results likely to sag
- Kenya's truth report: Killings, land grabs, graft