NRA Calls for Armed Police in Every School, Blames Media as ‘Silent Enablers, if Not Complicit Co-Conspirators’ in Gun Violence
Editor’s note: We’ll be discussing this story and all the day’s news during our live BlazeCast at 12 p.m. Eastern, including your questions, comments & live chat:
The National Rifle Association on Friday called on Congress to act immediately to place armed police officers in every school by the time students return to class in January.
Publicly addressing the media for the first time since last week’s horrific elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn., NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said the question is “how do we protect our children right now, starting today, in a way that we know works?”
“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” LaPierre told reporters at a news conference. “Would you rather have your 911 call bring a good guy with a gun from a mile away, or a minute away?”
LaPierre said Congress must appropriate whatever funding is necessary to put armed security in every school in the country before students return from the holidays, and before “we engage in any lengthy debate over legislation, regulation or anything else.”
“If we truly cherish our kids more than our money, more than our celebrities, more than our sports stadiums, we must give them the greatest level of protection possible and that security is only available with properly trained armed good guys,” he said.
He excoriated politicians “pass laws for gun-free school zones” and “issue press releases bragging about them.”
“In doing so they tell every insane killer in America that schools are their safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk,” he said.
LaPierre also blamed the media as “silent enablers, if not complicit co-conspirators” when it comes to gun violence, saying there is a “national media machine” that gives wall-to-wall coverage of those who embark on violent shooting rampages and that “sells and sows violence against its own people” in the form of violent video games and blood-filled films. He showed one such video game titled “Kindergarten Killers.”
“It’s been online for 10 years,” LaPierre said. “How come my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn’t or didn’t want anyone to know you had found it?”
The news conference was twice interrupted by protesters who held banners and shouted that the NRA had blood on its hands.
“The NRA is killing our children!” one protester shouted. “They are the perpetrators of the crimes that are taking place in our schools and on our streets!”
This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 157 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 226 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan