Surprise! The Bible Beats Out ‘Erotic Bestsellers’ to Become One of the Most Popular Books of 2012 in Norway
When examining the bestselling literary works in Norway this year, one might be surprised to find that the Bible tops the list, as it has been flying off of bookshelves for the past 14 months. A new Norwegian translation of the book is so popular, in fact, that it has been among the top 15 bestselling titles for 54 of the past 56 weeks.
Last October, the new translation was released and success immediately followed. According to the Norwegian Bible Society, 157,000 copies of the book have sold since its release. As The Guardian notes, this means that the Bible has become so popular in Norway that it has been in the top chart more times than Justin Bieber’s autobiography and “Fifty Shades of Grey” — both monumentally-popular books.
According to the publishers, the Bible may, in fact, be selling so fervently because of the new translation, which is said to be more palatable than past versions. The Norwegian Bible Society apparently brought in Hebrew and Greek experts and literary writers in an attempt to create an accurate text that is translated well into the Norwegian language.
“It’s always a very touchy issue, doing a new translation of the Bible,” said Dag Smemo, a project manager for the Bible Society. “People say they like it the way it is. But we had a very thorough procedure, involving authors and poets, secular people and believers, and discussing the whole translation word by word, so there is not only a good translation of the Greek and Hebrew but also a very good flow of the Norwegian language.”
What is perhaps most interesting is that Smemo claims that Christians aren’t the only ones purchasing the book. Secularists and atheists, too, are interested in the coveted text.
“It’s definitely not only Christians buying it,” he explained. “It’s atheists too – people are saying the Bible is important for us, for our culture, and for the nation.”
The Bible Society admits its surprise with the success that the new version of the Bible has seen. While some internal estimates claimed that only 25,000 to 75,000 copies would be sold, the 157,000 mark showcases success beyond the publisher’s wildest dreams.
“We’ve said at the Bible Society that it’s good we don’t only have erotic bestsellers in the charts, but moral books too,” Smemo added.
(H/T: The Guardian)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 433 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 379 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 353 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 311 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 302 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 160 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 120 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 111 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- 7 hurt when trains collide in Mo., buckling road
- Gay wins 100 at Adidas Grand Prix in New York
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- NTSB: Bridge collapse in Wash. is wake-up call
- Polanski laments leveling of sexes as 'idiotic'
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Jimmie Johnson chasing NASCAR history, not legacy
- Bayern Munich wins Champions League final 2-1