Tawana Brawley Resurfaces in Virginia
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tawana Brawley is living in Virginia under a new name, still owing money to a New York lawyer she accused of raping her 25 years ago, the New York Post reports.
The Post reported Sunday that the 40-year-old Brawley lives in Hopewell, Va., has a young daughter and works as a nurse in Richmond, Va.
Brawley was 15 and living in Wappingers Falls, N.Y. when she said six white law enforcement officials abducted and raped her. Brawley is black.
The allegations spurred a national racial controversy before a grand jury decided they were false.
The Post says Brawley never paid a $190,000 defamation judgment owed to one man she accused.
She told the newspaper she doesn’t want to talk to anyone about the episode.
There was no answer Sunday at a possible phone number for her.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,038 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 165 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 113 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, chilly spring hurts sales
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology