Mega Storm Coming on Christmas — Snow From Burlington to Dallas May Bring Travel Turmoil
If you’re done with your holiday travel already, be thankful. If you’re traveling today, stay safe. If you’re planning to head out tomorrow — Christmas Day — take note.
Following the snowstorm that hit the northern United States last week, another weather system that Accuweather senior meteorologist Kristina Pydynowski writes will be even more “potent” is on its way. Those traveling Christmas Eve might have better conditions than those headed out on Christmas Day and through the middle of the week.
Here’s more of Pydynoski’s explanation of the approaching weather that will impact the Midwest, Great Lakes states and the Northeast:
Substantial snow will spread from the panhandles of Oklahoma and Texas to the Red River and western Arkansas on Christmas Day with snow even whitening Dallas in the afternoon–a rare feat for Christmas.
The major snowstorm will then press northeastward Tuesday night into Thursday, passing from Arkansas into the Ohio Valley, then the eastern Great Lakes and Northeast.
The storm has the potential to unleash a half of a foot or more of snow starting Tuesday in southwestern Kansas and Oklahoma. Totals will even top a foot across the interior Northeast.
Cities in line to receive more than a half of a foot of snow include Indianapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Burlington and Caribou.
The conditions are expected to make travel on the road treacherous in some areas. Those traveling by air might see delays or cancellations that could stick them wherever they celebrated the holidays for a day or two.
NBC’s Today Show pointed out that the South will not be without its problems. Instead of snow, a warmer section of the storm system could cause severe thunderstorms with tornadoes.
Watch this Today Show report about the storm:
According to Flight Stats this afternoon, 1,949 flights were delayed and 82 canceled. Last week’s storm spiked cancellations to 4,426.
If last week’s storm was any indication of what those at airports or on the road impacted by the storm will experience, here’s a look at the pictures to prepare travelers for what they might see Christmas Day and after Christmas conditions:
If you see any craziness while traveling this year, send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,038 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 165 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 113 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, chilly spring hurts sales
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology