Unemployed Single Mother with 5 Kids Gets Makeover and Job Opportunity in Unforgettable Christmas Surprise
An organization called “Style Me Hired” is presenting a new twist on the classic “makeover” story. In rough economic times, many women don’t just need a new hairstyle or bronzer– they need an entire lifestyle change.
That’s why Style Me Hired tackles both, giving struggling women a free makeover, and then presenting them with a unique job opportunity.
The most recent recipient was single mother of five Nanette Garvey, who was surprised at her Pennsylvania home by Marc Voci, the owner Marc Voci Salon in Folsom.
Garvey seemed unable to control her excitement, waving and smiling at the cameras as she left.
“I’ve never had anything like this happen to me” she said, emerging in black pants, tennis shoes, and a blue shirt.
Having recently lost her job, Garvey said she’s been having trouble managing her finances and providing all she can for her children.
“I have to be really strong for them, and it’s not easy all the time, so something like this– and for them to actually experience that too…it can do a lot for a person. Especially a woman!”
MyFoxPhilly has more:
She was whisked away to the salon where stylists gave her a new hairdo and clothing from Clothes Mentor in West Chester. Voci has been doing these monthly makeovers for the past two years. He says it’s about “Local businesses teaming up, same mindset, to help these women and men in this economy and try to bring some joy to this world.”
Just last month Voci surprised a woman whose home was damaged in Hurricane Sandy. ”Not only did we give her a makeover, we had her house fixed for free” said Voci.
Garvey won the makeover by filling out a card at the salon. “I thought, let me try, it could be something that could give me a new lease, you know, a new beginning for me and my kids” she said.
When the salon component of the makeover was complete, a man dressed as Santa came in and provided the most meaningful gift: a full-time job opportunity with Educational Data Systems Incorporated (EDSI), a consulting services company.
“Amazing. I never really thought anything like this would happen,” she said, practically speechless. “Not at all, not at all. I’m overwhelmed at this point.”
From there, “Santa” took Garvey on a fire truck, where they drove to deliver presents to her children.
NBC 10 concludes:
“It’s hard but I have a lot of family and friends that support me and are there for me no matter what. I teach my kids that you will always family and friends. Someone will always be there for you,” said Garvey.
While it’s not a guarantee that Nanette will get the job, it’s a major opportunity for the Folsom native and one that we’re confident she’ll take full advantage of. Most importantly, it’s a Holiday memory that Nanette and her family will never forget.
Salon owner Marc Voci simply said: “The holiday spirit is alive and well in Delaware County.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 554 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 479 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 330 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 216 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 228 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't